Centrepiece for 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, apistos are not aggressive, they just aren't total push-overs against small fish. But an apisto wouldn't attack your fish.

I just got 6 apistogrammas today (4 cacautoides and 2 trifasciata) and I'm already in love with them! So much personality in such a small package!

Freakgecko91 said:
I just got 6 apistogrammas today (4 cacautoides and 2 trifasciata) and I'm already in love with them! So much personality in such a small package!

Wow that's great! I'm really considering them now!

IMO a pair of Bolivian Rams.

Probably the best idea!! I don't know about platies but it seems like you could stick 3 Bolivian Rams if you do the water changes every week and are giving your tank the maintenance needed. I would get three but only if you can get two females(Which is very hard!!!!) I personally have both Dwarf and Bolivians in my 29G but I have space( I felt like small fish wouldn't make such a great tank) and they are both beautiful. Quick difference though! Dwarf gouramis have beautiful colors and their fat body makes it fun to watch. But on the other hand, bolivian can also get colored, although not as much... BUT if you settle for rams you will find that they have a human personality. I have the tank in my room and I can tell you one thing, he won't let me study :lol:. He swims on the front of the tank and does funny moves which tempts you to watch for minutes making you forget what you were supposed to be doing.

Hope this help, I personally love bolivian rams, and they are peaceful too! my bolivians used to get picked on by a tiny blue ram, :lol:

I'm getting apistos as well but since your tank is small fish based, you might want to consider the actually "centerpiece" by purchasing a pair of bigger ones.

Freakgecko91 said:
Here's the cacautoides male and female

And here's the trifasciata (presumably female unless someone here says otherwise)

Very photogenic little guys haha they all live with a mix of tetras, 5 panda cories, and a pair of bolivian rams

Wow they're really nice!

Carlitouus said:
Probably the best idea!! I don't know about platies but it seems like you could stick 3 Bolivian Rams if you do the water changes every week and are giving your tank the maintenance needed. I would get three but only if you can get two females(Which is very hard!!!!) I personally have both Dwarf and Bolivians in my 29G but I have space( I felt like small fish wouldn't make such a great tank) and they are both beautiful. Quick difference though! Dwarf gouramis have beautiful colors and their fat body makes it fun to watch. But on the other hand, bolivian can also get colored, although not as much... BUT if you settle for rams you will find that they have a human personality. I have the tank in my room and I can tell you one thing, he won't let me study :lol:. He swims on the front of the tank and does funny moves which tempts you to watch for minutes making you forget what you were supposed to be doing.

Hope this help, I personally love bolivian rams, and they are peaceful too! my bolivians used to get picked on by a tiny blue ram, :lol:

I'm getting apistos as well but since your tank is small fish based, you might want to consider the actually "centerpiece" by purchasing a pair of bigger ones.

Thanks! Wow they sound like such nice fish, this is gonna be a hard decision!

I have both Bolivian rams and apistogrammas in my tank, so I'm rather torn as to what to tell you bc I do like my rams as well, they're larger which is nice, mine are about 2.5 and 2 inches (unofficial estimate haha) while my apistogramma are only like an inch long. If you're looking for a centerpiece though, then go with the bolivians

Freakgecko91 said:
I have both Bolivian rams and apistogrammas in my tank, so I'm rather torn as to what to tell you bc I do like my rams as well, they're larger which is nice, mine are about 2.5 and 2 inches (unofficial estimate haha) while my apistogramma are only like an inch long. If you're looking for a centerpiece though, then go with the bolivians

Thanks! Should I go with 1 or a pair? And how much would you pay for 1? Which do you think has a more of a sociable attitude between rams and apistos?

Apistos seem a bit more social, although my rams tend to stick together... I say go with a pair of rams, preferrably 2 females if you can find them...they're usually anywhere from 5-10$, where as Apistos will run a bit more... The cacatutoides were $20 for tge to pairs (so $5 each) and the trifasciata were $35 for the pair

Freakgecko91 said:
Apistos seem a bit more social, although my rams tend to stick together... I say go with a pair of rams, preferrably 2 females if you can find them...they're usually anywhere from 5-10$, where as Apistos will run a bit more... The cacatutoides were $20 for tge to pairs (so $5 each) and the trifasciata were $35 for the pair

Oh ok, thanks, I'm actually really leaning towards rams, if I accidentally get a male and a female, would they be more aggressive?

Guppyman34 said:
Oh ok, thanks, I'm actually really leaning towards rams, if I accidentally get a male and a female, would they be more aggressive?

I think they would be okay as long as they don't start to breed.

All cichlids are aggressive during breeding, it just varies how much lol I've never bred them so I can't say for sure unfortunately

I have a paradise fish and he's the coolest fish I've ever had. He's very social and always out and about.

zarmalar said:
I have a paradise fish and he's the coolest fish I've ever had. He's very social and always out and about.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm gonna have to consider them too

I wouldn't consider Paradise with the fish you have in there, they are aggressive. They will kill you fish... not even kill :lol: "fight" them ... They always want to run the tank and sice the tank already has fish in there it'll be nasty. Like people said, Bolivian Rams, Apistos, and the dwarf gouramis... MATTER OF FACT!! I picked up another pair this afternoon... why? Well I already had 2 dwarf gouramis... orange and blue(sort of) strips ... the ones I found were blue and orange!! I just couldn't take it lol. My room is blue and I had to get two along with 2 Balloon mollies( I don't have schoolfish in the tank like you do really...) They're great, I mean their colors are just too beautiful,but like I mentioned before, if you want personality over color, rams are the way to go. Before I go, you said centerpiece, so I was guessing a decent sized fish that will be the first to look at, apistos don't really grow more than your other fish will so I don't think there will be a "centerpiece" at the end but that' jut me.

Carlitouus said:
I wouldn't consider Paradise with the fish you have in there, they are aggressive. They will kill you fish... not even kill :lol: "fight" them ... They always want to run the tank and sice the tank already has fish in there it'll be nasty. Like people said, Bolivian Rams, Apistos, and the dwarf gouramis... MATTER OF FACT!! I picked up another pair this afternoon... why? Well I already had 2 dwarf gouramis... orange and blue(sort of) strips ... the ones I found were blue and orange!! I just couldn't take it lol. My room is blue and I had to get two along with 2 Balloon mollies( I don't have schoolfish in the tank like you do really...) They're great, I mean their colors are just too beautiful,but like I mentioned before, if you want personality over color, rams are the way to go. Before I go, you said centerpiece, so I was guessing a decent sized fish that will be the first to look at, apistos don't really grow more than your other fish will so I don't think there will be a "centerpiece" at the end but that' jut me.

Ok I've made my decision, I'm getting 2 female Bolivian rams. Is there a way to tell the difference between males and females?

Ok I've made my decision, I'm getting 2 female Bolivian rams. Is there a way to tell the difference between males and females?

Way too hard, you can't until they breed, LOL well from what I heard females have more rounded heads (the head not the body) and some red on their belly. blue rams are very easy to distinguish but no the bolivians unfortunately. You can always try to visit fish stores like clubs and those that are not part of big chains. Matter of fact they will be more healthy if you pick them up from a small pet store(can be big in size but not a chain :facepalm:).

Also don't try to sex them with my tips... I set up my second tank(20G) and was also got 3 bolivian rams(I had one already, didn't want to tell you on the other post because I don't want to sound like a fish freak lol) and tried to do that, went home and they all had the same frigging heads lol, still love them though.

Back
Top Bottom