Changing over from filtered water to tap, anyone disagree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was curious if i would harm my fish if i decioded to switch over from using filtered water to using tap water as i want to buy a python cause i heard there much easier to do water changes and gravel cleaning. Has anyone ever hooked up there python to a filtered water system, or is it ok that i will be switching to tap? I figured i would ask before i spent the 50 bucks. I plan on using seachem prime for my declorantor.

Let me know what you guys think.

Granted I have only been doing this a short time, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have been using only tap water and it works just fine. In the 2 months or so I have been on this board, I have seen numerous posts regarding hooking up a python to the faucet and using water right out of the tap. I can tell you, it makes water changes a snap. And since I recently had to do 4 50%+ changes in just over a 24-hour period, it made my life a lot easier. What I have done, upon recommendation of others here, is:
1. Suck out the desired amount of water using the python
2. When I am close to the desired amount, I begin checking and adjusting the temperature of the tap water to make sure it will match the tank temp.
3. When I get to the desired level, I switch the direction of the water flow and start adding water
4. Immediately after changing the direction of the water flow in #3, I add my dechlorinator (Prime) so that it dechlorinates the water as it flows in.

Using this method, I actually like doing water changes because they are so easy, and because it is fun to see the fish come out and frolic in the flow of incoming water (the loaches especially seem to like it a lot).

I have been using tap water for years. Leave a cup out overnight and test it. if you have no strange readings then you should have no problems using it.

Rich no strange readings as in doing the regular nitrite, nitrates, ammonia, ph, and alll that stuff or what do you mean?

Bosk thanks for the info, i only been doing this for about a year now myself, and doing the whole bucket thing is just not working anymore lol, so i heard the python was the way to go. Just wanted to make sure the fish won't react to it seeing where i been using filrered water.

I agree. As long as you don't have high readings of Ammonia or Nitrates, then I think you'll be fine. But if your water source uses Chloramines in their water, then you will show levels of Ammonia so keep that in mind.

I guess another thing to possibly keep in mind, and I'm just speculating here, is that there may be a difference in mineral content or other things that we don't typically test for. So maybe to help the fish gradually get used to the different water souce, you might want to start off with smaller, more frequent pwc's. Just a thought. I don't know if it would help, but I know it certainly couldn't hurt.

Fishyfanatic, isnt that why you need to add declorinator to it, so basicly i need to test my tap water first before i decide to get a python and switch over. So if i test my tap and it shows high ammonia or nitrates, that means i can't use it?

Right introduce a little bit of tap water first, like anther words don't do a huge water change with all tap. My reason for this major switch is because my tank has high nitrates right now and dealing with buckets i can't keep up with water changes of big mass, it take way to long. So i guess like you said maybe introduce it little at a time at first.

Franco7 said:
Rich no strange readings as in doing the regular nitrite, nitrates, ammonia, ph, and alll that stuff or what do you mean?

That is what I meant. most tap has no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

ok i will do that when i get home, take a cup let it sit and then test it.

ok so heres my tap readings, let me know if im safe using tap and putting in prime.

nitrates- 0
ph- 7.1 thats high .1
high range ph- 7.5
ammonia- .50 thats high, but is that cause of chloramine
nitrite - 0

Try adding smoe dechlor and test ammonia again. Your ph is 7.1, the high test starts at 7.5 dont bother with it. .1 to high is nothing to worry about or do anything about. Your water is just about perfect.

Franco- I meant to test for the levels so in case your tap had high levels of Nitrates or Ammonia already in the water than it may be a good idea to keep doing the bucket brigade with the filtered. Sorry if I was unclear. I think you will be fine going with just pure tap water. It is like purchasing fish from a lfs that does not use the same water company that you use. They will have different mineral contents than your tank not to mention pH levels. As long as they are acclimated to the water, it will be fine. We purchase fish 250 miles away and bring them home and they are perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

And I agree with Rich, your pH is perfectly fine. I would love to have it that low for my community tank. The ammonia reading is because of the chloramines.

Also, the dechlorinator will not remove Ammonia or Nitrates unless the ammonia reading is due to chloramines (which in your case it is, but .5 is not a level to be concerned with in regards to ammonia caused by chloramines).

hi again....

If the water source uses chloramines, you might see a little ammonia, but is a very small amount. The biofilter should take care of that. Also, the dechlorinator (Prime) will get rid of the chloramine so it doesn't kill off the bacteria or cause problems for the fish. Even with going from filtered water to straight tap, I don't see any problem myself, whether it's several small PWC's or fewer larger PWC's. The main concern is getting the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates down, and the best way for that is 3-4 large PWC's, and continue regular daily PWC's til you are cycled.

Also, with using the Python, which I will be glad when I get mine, point number 2 that bosk1 put out is probably the most important point for someone new to the Python, and that's getting the right temp going into the tank. Everything else either the Prime or the biofilter should take care of when cycled.

I figured that one out pretty quick. Not saying my method is perfect. It may still need some fine tuning. But that's how I've been doing it so far, and it seems to work great.

Ok so i added some declhor to my ammonia test and theres no more it brought it right down like you guys said, so that hopfully means i'll be good to go like you guys said.

ya my tank was and is cycled, it just has high nitrates cause i think it's a mix of to much feeding(which i cut down to 1 time every 2 days or so, so i can bring it down) and not enough water changes( i had to fill up 3 5 gallon jugs and let them sit a little because my flitered water doesnt have hot and cold, so im really not worryed about the water temp obviously ill try to match it as close as i can, but i was dumping in colder water before from flitered) So i figure if i get python it will make it alot easier and im trying ti get my friend to do the same, but he says he doesnt trust it cause of the whole how do you know how many gallons your takeing out to how much prime to put in, and the whole 9 yards. I tryed to tell him and i made hom sign up for AA so maybe he will, cause i was like read everybody does a water change and jsut adds prime for the whole tank, atleast thats what i get out of it.

Thanks guys, keep the concerns and tips coming.

I do just that Franco. The python is the best invention for water changes. After removing the water with the python I add the new water and put enough Prime in the tank for the entire tank volume. Considering how little Prime you have to use, it's not a big deal. :D Kudos to you for taking the plunge!

What plunge, im hooping its going to be a success not a plunge lol

Back
Top Bottom