Cories in a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I understand correctly the only cories I could have in a ten gallon are the pygmy right? How many could I do with 1 betta and 5 neon tetras? Anyone know of an affordable place to get them online? My LFS cant/wont get them for me. Does Petco have them typically?

IMO you shouldn't have neon tetras in a ten gal, but if you take them out then you could have 5-6 pygmy cory cats.

None of those fish have large bio loads, but the neon tetras are really active, so if you add any more fish they might not have enough space. I also have cory cats and they are pretty active too! :)

I don't really have any where to move the neons. I had been tld on another forum the neons would be okay in a 10 gallon so I bought them about a year ago. I dont have any other tanks set up but I do plan to set up a 55 gallon in the spring. I cant really do anything with them till then tho.

So you dont think I should add anything as long as they are in there?

Oh that is an idea. I did just start a small 5.5 gallon shrimp tank and could maybe put some in the 10 gallon as they start to fill up the 5 gallon with babies lol.

Do you recommend any specific snail?

Actually I am one of the people who feel neons are fine in a 10g tank. Its more a matter of opinion than anything. I've kept neons off and on for 30+ years and most of the time I've found them not to be extremely active but remember every tank and inhabitants are different. From a bio-load standpoint neons are very acceptible for a 10g tank.

You could check to see if anyone has Panda's. You could do 3 Panda cory's in a 10g with your stock and still have an acceptible bio-load. Then when you upgrade your tank you could increase your shoal of cory's.

I have temporally kept julli Cory cats in a 10 gallon. They didn't do too bad. Currently I have 6 neons in a 10 gallon and they are doing very good, no breeding, but are active and happy.

Actually I am one of the people who feel neons are fine in a 10g tank. Its more a matter of opinion than anything. I've kept neons off and on for 30+ years and most of the time I've found them not to be extremely active but remember every tank and inhabitants are different. From a bio-load standpoint neons are very acceptible for a 10g tank.

You could check to see if anyone has Panda's. You could do 3 Panda cory's in a 10g with your stock and still have an acceptible bio-load. Then when you upgrade your tank you could increase your shoal of cory's.

I was pretty much going to say exactly this. I didn't expect anyone to agree with me though. I've had neons in a 10, 20, and a 55 and it doesn't seem to change their activity level whether there are dither fish or not. The only thing that seems to change their activity level is food. Of course they get sick if you look at them wrong, but that's a different story.

You know, I actually agree with this, about the neons. Although I am one to advocate giving fish a little extra room :)

That makes me feel less guilty. I have had the neons for a year and they have always seemed happy, a little bickering between them occasionally but always active and good eaters. Knock on wood I havent had them get sick yet. They have been great tanks mates for my betta they ignore him completley and occasiaonlly he chases them a tiny bit but they are faster so he stops after like 1 second.

I found some pygmy cories online for $3.99 a piece but the shipping is like $15 so that makes them pretty expensive fish lol. (or is that reasonable? shi[pping is the 15 no matter how many you buy) I really want to try cories I have never had them but heard such wonderful things. My Walmart has some that are small but I am honestly not sure what type they are and I am sure they are just babies and will get big.

I should prolly just leave the tank like it is and use it for shrimpy overflow.

Back
Top Bottom