Discus question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

posleen103

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 35 and a 45 gallon tank. They are both... jump cycled. I used gravel/ filters and water that had been running in a 10/20 gallon tank for the 35/45. My question is, would Discus be happy in either and how many would be safe? I haven't kept discus but have kept and bred angels and marbled hatchets. Would it be 4 discus for the 35 and 6 discus for the 45. Would love to get some advice.

Some people have discus the size of dinner plats, and considering they need groups, I would say neither of those would work. Roydooms should be able to give you better info on a setup that would be better for discus.

HalfMoon B is right. It is best to save your money for a bigger tank, like say sixty gallons or so for them. Maybe if it was a breeding pair or a temporary home for one.

So, I have read that a 55 gallon is good for them as well, read about 6-8 in a 55. Not seeing much difference in a 45 as far as size. Okay, more reading seems to be 10 gallons per discus smallest group should be a group of 4.

Back
Top Bottom