Emerald Cory help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone else have an emerald cory that just lies around like this? He swims around every ice in a while but lately he has just been lying in the corner. I'm just about finished cycling my new tank

Attachments

• image-313545743.jpg
    image-313545743.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 76
I would think a 50% pwc ...to start, how long have you been cycling the tank? Are you doing any water changes and/or water testing? Are you using water conditioner with same temp new water?

Doesn't look well...or happy...

Majbarsalona said:
Is that the only Cory in the tank?

Yes its the only Cory and I know that's a little messed up to have only one but I wanted a bottom feeder and I would be over stocked to have more than one

Autumnsky said:
I would think a 50% pwc ...to start, how long have you been cycling the tank? Are you doing any water changes and/or water testing? Are you using water conditioner with same temp new water?

Doesn't look well...or happy...

I'm doing 75 pwc everyday right now because my nitrite spiked a few days ago. Seems to be keeping it down pretty well. I test twice a day and when I do water changes I try to get the temp as close as possible and I use water conditioner

How long has it been cycling?

Fresh water is key to trying to keep them healthy. I am glad you are doing 75% each day, don't be surprised if you need to do 2x per day if it isn't in safe levels, on occasion.

Did you read up on fish in cycling? Jetajockey has a good article on it.

Everything that I have read says there should be at least 3 corys. When I was cycling my tank I had 3 zebras. One would stay hidden in a spot and would never come out. Added a couple more and he came out and begin one of the pack. I would say get him a couple of buddies. I realize you it would overstock your tank. Just might have to do more water changes.

Word of caution, these Emerald Cories are Brochis Splendens and can get much larger especially the females than a standard Cory.

AFTER the tank completes the cycle, you may consider a couple other Dwarf Cories, they do hang out together. But thinking out the fish combination you have/want will be important. They like very clean water.

I love my guys, but since they get big, I got him and his buddy smaller Cory friends and they hang out and pair off.

First you want to make sure you finish your cycle and keep your current fish healthy as possible.

How long has it been cycling?

cmd22776 said:
Everything that I have read says there should be at least 3 corys. When I was cycling my tank I had 3 zebras. One would stay hidden in a spot and would never come out. Added a couple more and he came out and begin one of the pack. I would say get him a couple of buddies. I realize you it would overstock your tank. Just might have to do more water changes.

It seems that he has swim bladder now. He is doing barrel rolls as he swims and then he stops upside down for a while. Probably going to die

you can try cooking a few fresh or frozen shelled green peas til soft in tank water, cool and peel the tough outer cover off and cut into bite size pieces, drop into the tank in front of him and see if it will eat it.

This can help them clear their system.

Back
Top Bottom