Favorite filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutchz

Aquarium Advice Freak
As the title states what is everyone's favorite hob filter?

I am new to the hobby, but have a few so here goes:

I like the results of my 2 aquaclear 70's, but the motor is a bit noisy, but not terrible. Media changes and options are great

Also have a penguin and it is quieter and works pretty good. Media iseasy to clean.

My 20 gallon came with a top fin or something generic, works ok for now but it is just a 2nd filter on my tank in case of a breakdown emergency it is ready to go.

I am sure others will have more experience and detail for ya

Aqueons are my favorite. They are self-priming, easy to clean, and have strong water flow due to the motor being submerged in the water. They may not be as customizable as the Aqua Clears, which are sure to get the most votes in this thread, but you can still do what you want to some extent with the Aqueons.

I have an AC70 and it's actually my least favorite HOB among Marinelands, Aqueons, and Fluvals. It always has to be primed after a water change. The media basket does not lock into place on the right side. If I put two sponges, or a sponge and some filter floss it will creep up on the right side and lift the lid off the top of the filter box. When I press it back it down the junk that it sucked up gets pushed into the tank. Also, the intake tube is too short. They make extensions, but the extension brings the intake too close to the sand and the goldfish just kick sand up into the filter and it stops, so I have to take it apart and clean it.

Aqua Clears cost more than other HOB's in general and I just don't think you're getting something as great as people would have you believe.

Yes my favorite has to be aqueon. It's is self priming is what I love but wish it has media like the aqua clears.

I'm running a side by side comparison with an AC 110 and an emperor 400 on 90 gallon right now. Both do a good job of cleaning, after adjusting the water output of the 400 they produce about the same amount of noise, but IMO, the AC110 is just more versatile and holds a ton of media. Downside is when the sponge gets dirty, it does push everything up on the right side but at least i know when its time to clean.

I'm running a side by side comparison with an AC 110 and an emperor 400 on 90 gallon right now. Both do a good job of cleaning, after adjusting the water output of the 400 they produce about the same amount of noise, but IMO, the AC110 is just more versatile and holds a ton of media. Downside is when the sponge gets dirty, it does push everything up on the right side but at least i know when its time to clean.

I could live with it if it only did that when it was dirty, but mine does it even right after I clean out the filter box and rinse the media.

Yes my favorite has to be aqueon. It's is self priming is what I love but wish it has media like the aqua clears.

I agree, if they combined those two you'd have something. By the way, nice angel. Is that yours?

My favorite hob by far is the fluval C series, I have the c3. It takes everything from the aquaclears and makes some improvements IMO. It still has different media baskets but the coarse and fine sponge are combined giving you an extra slot for another sponge or chem filtration, it has an extendable intake tube as well. C series gets my vote by far, but yes you do still have to prime it if you're inpatient

Love my AC110's. I take the grey little plastic rack thing out as its useless. I use sponge, purigen and poly fill in conjunction with bio max.

I've never had an issue with them and I have a regular cleaning schedule with them.

I like the aqueon (which is the only filter i've ever had) because although it is not the best filter out of the box, it is awesome if you add a prefilter on it because you can put almost anything in the media section. It is an amazing mechanical filter because you can stuff quite a bit of quilt batting in the media section.

I could live with it if it only did that when it was dirty, but mine does it even right after I clean out the filter box and rinse the media.

I agree, if they combined those two you'd have something. By the way, nice angel. Is that yours?

No it is not but I am getting some soon. Check out puffer love's angel this ones his

Attachments

• image-3256517796.jpg
    image-3256517796.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 47
Hands down, AquaClear!

My only problem with the Aqueon HOB is that the motor is in the water. That adds heat to the water, which shouldn't be a problem in a big enough tank; but living in South Florida, my water gets really warm as it is.

I've tried the Marineland's on several occasions. I like them but the bio-wheel can be somewhat loud until they get waterlogged.

David

I have heard great things about the Fluval C series, but until they come out with one the size of an ac110 or emp 400 i will wait.

I have heard great things about the Fluval C series, but until they come out with one the size of an ac110 or emp 400 i will wait.

I totally get what you're saying, they do need to come out with a c5. But side by side the c4 vs AC70, c series takes it. The ACs are simplistic which is great for customization and cost effectiveness, but the c series is a definite improvement, 5 stage filtration and still able to customize it and media is cheap as well. Guess it all depends on the size of tank wether an ac110 or a c4 would be best.

Side note, aqueons motor being in the water doesn't cause all the problems people think they do, at least not in my experience. I could see where that may be a slight issue if maybe you were keeping goldfish or gold water fish, but not tropicals IMO. I think they're good too

Had an emp 400 on my 55 gallon for years and it work great. Both my 10 and 20 gallon tanks have a marineland 100 on them and they work very good. I did change out my emp 400 recently for a cascade 700 canister. Much quieter and works just as good as the 400. It looks a lot nicer than having the big 400 hanging off the back. For the smaller tanks, I'll stick with the hob filters

Had an emp 400 on my 55 gallon for years and it work great. Both my 10 and 20 gallon tanks have a marineland 100 on them and they work very good. I did change out my emp 400 recently for a cascade 700 canister. Much quieter and works just as good as the 400. It looks a lot nicer than having the big 400 hanging off the back. For the smaller tanks, I'll stick with the hob filters

Completely agree, loved the bio wheel on the 350 I had on my 55 gallon, but switched for a fluval 406 and like it so much more. But for small tanks I feel like canisters are a waste, unless I could get one canister to run both my 10 and 20 long I'm sticking with the HOBs

I have 2 AC filters, which I love because I can customize my filtration, and for the flow adjustment, but they are noisier than my aqueon, and I hate tat they dont self prime.
But, of course, I LOVE my canister filter. Hands down, best purchase ever!

Last edited:
I have two Marineland 350's and love them! Double filter them and you could drink my tank water. Quiet and extremely efficient with great water movement.

Back
Top Bottom