Fish combination opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
1 Freshwater Shrimp
1 Bristlenose Plec
2 Gouramis
2 Rainbow Sharks
1 Silver Tipped Shark
3 Guppies
5 Checkered Barbs

Good or bad combo? Any suggestions to add in the tank? Preferably bright fish as my base is black.

Cheers in advanced :)

You have a lot of aggressive and non aggressive fish in there

What's aggressive and what's not? I was told the shrimp can be aggressive. But I was told the other fish are non aggressive. As long as I don't get red tailed sharks.

Barbs can be quit nippy and the sharks at time what size tank do
You own ?

I say no to the sharks, they need at least 40 gallons each, and will fight like crazy. Also, what kind of gouramis ? Dwarf or sparkling gouramis will work.

Also I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone else will chime in, but I think that's a bit small for a bn pleco.

All of the sharks need to go, they're way to large and territorial for your tank, if you keep them all your fish will die.

Guppies and barbs are a terrible mix as well so one of those need to go unless you're just waiting till the guppies die.

Well I have had my fish together for about 5 months now. The only new fish added have been the 2 rainbow sharks and the 2 Gouramis. With my other fish I have had no problems.

Well I have had my fish together for about 5 months now. The only new fish added have been the 2 rainbow sharks and the 2 Gouramis. With my other fish I have had no problems.

Well don't listen then. You've been warned.

Well don't listen then. You've been warned.

Why are you being like that? I'm just stating how it's been? That's the problem on here. Everyone attacks other people over something they don't agree on.

I'm not doubting any people that is why I asked but I am just also telling you how it has been since I have had them.

Why are you being like that? I'm just stating how it's been? That's the problem on here. Everyone attacks other people over something they don't agree on.

I'm not doubting any people that is why I asked but I am just also telling you how it has been since I have had them.

Ok sorry maybe I did come on a little harsh :hide: As much as there are people attacking people that's as a result of people who, and I don't mean you, come here asking for advice then ignore everything and declare they've kept three great white sharks and two puppies in their 20G tank for X months and everything is fine.

The reality of your situation is the silver tip shark is a bala shark and they not only require over 150G (Some say 200-300G) tanks but they also require schools or they get very neurotic so it really does need to be rehomed.

Rainbow sharks are ok community fish but they require 40G minimum and even then you should only keep one because as they get older they get incredibly territorial. If you are adamant you are keeping a rainbow shark rehome one and be aware in a year or so it could well kill your entire tank with the exception of the bristlenose if it feels like it (And it most likely will).

Barbs are notoriously nippy fish and they do not go well with the long tails of guppies, in such a small tank I would say it's likely a death sentence for the guppies long term.

Two gouramis in such a small tank is also a concern as they are also territorial with each other and the lack of space will likely lead to one dying of stress, others have had success however but they are the exception as opposed to the rule.

Here's a link to a site called aqadvisor (AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor) which, while not perfect, is a really good tool for beginnings to learn to get their stocking in order before they begin pushing boundaries.

Don't feel bad your current stocking really isn't compatible, my first stocking was way worse than yours and I ended up rehoming 90% of my stock thanks to the poor advice my LFS gave me.

Apologies again if I came on too harsh :flowers:

Your smaller rainbow shark is going to be chased by the larger one until it dies, our becomes so stressed it gets a disease. The silver tip has a similar body to the rainbow and therefore I wouldn't house them together. Rainbow are also very energetic fish, and need a 48 inch tank. A 20 gallon isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok sorry maybe I did come on a little harsh :hide: As much as there are people attacking people that's as a result of people who, and I don't mean you, come here asking for advice then ignore everything and declare they've kept three great white sharks and two puppies in their 20G tank for X months and everything is fine.

The reality of your situation is the silver tip shark is a bala shark and they not only require over 150G (Some say 200-300G) tanks but they also require schools or they get very neurotic so it really does need to be rehomed.

Rainbow sharks are ok community fish but they require 40G minimum and even then you should only keep one because as they get older they get incredibly territorial. If you are adamant you are keeping a rainbow shark rehome one and be aware in a year or so it could well kill your entire tank with the exception of the bristlenose if it feels like it (And it most likely will).

Barbs are notoriously nippy fish and they do not go well with the long tails of guppies, in such a small tank I would say it's likely a death sentence for the guppies long term.

Two gouramis in such a small tank is also a concern as they are also territorial with each other and the lack of space will likely lead to one dying of stress, others have had success however but they are the exception as opposed to the rule.

Here's a link to a site called aqadvisor (AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor) which, while not perfect, is a really good tool for beginnings to learn to get their stocking in order before they begin pushing boundaries.

Don't feel bad your current stocking really isn't compatible, my first stocking was way worse than yours and I ended up rehoming 90% of my stock thanks to the poor advice my LFS gave me.

Apologies again if I came on too harsh :flowers:

Now thats advise! Also, the shrimp would be eaten by the rainbow and bala.

I may have found homes for the predators. I was thinking of keeping the Gouramis and guppies. If that's possible? What else could I add with them?

Back
Top Bottom