Gap in lid of Betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm preparing a 10 gallon tank to keep a betta in - don't have the betta yet.

I'd like to put a glass lid on the tank. It's a rimless tank with a HOB.

I'm not sure if it's possible to have the glass lid cut with a rectangular section cut out of one corner to make space for the HOB, I'm going to ask at the glass place today - but if it is possible, will such a space be a problem in terms of the fish jumping out of the tank?

If it's not possible to have a rectangular section cut out, I can cut the glass to about an inch narrower than the tank, which means there's an open strip all along the back. I'm guessing that would be a problem with possible jump-escapes. What would be a plan to cover a gap like that neatly?

I've got an existing plastic hood which covers the tank completely but it looks rather horrid so the planned glass lid is for aesthetic reasons only :)

Sorry - in case my explanation is not clear: Black is tank and HOB, blue is proposed glass lid. Not sure if option 1 is possible in terms of what the glasscutters can do.

lid.gif

They should be able to do option 1. Option 2 would give way too much opportunity for the betta to jump out.

Definitely option 1 but only because of its asthetics as i dont even think bettas jump but i could be wrong.

Yes, bettas jump. I think nearly all fish do, but some are worse about it than others.

Oh, they do jump! I had one years ago who leaped right out of the tank. Which is why I'm paranoid about it.

Nothing like experience to answer a question. Well it has to be option 1 then doesnt it lol. Its good to know as i didnt they were strong enough to propell themselves out of the water.

Last edited:
:)
Yes, I'm thinking now- if for some reason they can't cut it like that, I'll just do the lid in two pieces and fit it round the hob, something like that.

Just a thought.....you could use plexiglass from the hardware store and save a bunch of money cutting it yourself...<_<.....>_>......^_^

yeah, my bad. Plexiglass would probably bend without cross piece reinforcement....Acrylic would be rigid though.

I have a bowfront that was discontinued years ago. I bought it used with no lid. Tried many times to order a replacement and every time the curve has been wrong. Finally I got plexiglass and cut it myself. I guess I didn't have the proper tool because it was extremely difficult to cut. It left a very wavy and uneven edge. Looks horrid, but it works. Now, after a few years of use, it is warped pretty bad.

They have newer material now at Lowe's, "Lexan"? It's supposed to much stronger than acrylic. Has anyone tried that in the long term?

From my online research, (I didn't keep the links but can find them if anyone is curious) neither acrylic or lexan work as both warp, even at very thick widths. Acrylic warps unless it's been made into a tank, as being fastened onto other sheets braces it. But when it's just a single sheet as for a lid, it warps, especially if there's a light warming it a bit. Lexan is even more warpy, apparently.

I found a thread by a guy who did extensive tests, and he eventually gave up and used glass. The other guys on that thread who have acrylic lids said they turned their lids over every few days or so so they just warp in the opposite direction.

Lexan with a frame would work though. Just a light alluminum pane about half an inch wide on all sides top and bottom should be plenty I would think.

Back
Top Bottom