Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Getting new kinds of fish

I'm thinking about getting a 55 gallon and maybe bigger. What kinds of fish should i get? Not too big and not too small. Btw I want to get FW fish not SW

Old 04-29-2003, 06:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Vicshaw Send a message via MSN to Vicshaw
get some tetras, catfish, mollies, but don;t get too many mollies cos it'll be too crowded.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
I'd go for some cool lookin catfish. Itd be sweet to get a school of bala or rainbow sharks. I hear either get 1 shark or get at least 5 or 6 because if there are only about 2 or 3 then theyll fight often. Theyre semi-aggresive anyways so if you get any they shouldnt cause you too much trouble. I know bala sharks have a max size of about 14 in. and rainbow sharks get to 9 in. i am pretty sure. A school of tetras would be sweet, also
Old 05-01-2003, 02:11 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to stik6shift98
id go semi agressive.....

bala sharks
tinfoil barbs
tiger barbs
albino channel cat
african butterfly
plecos
clown loaches
spotted eels

thats basically what i have in my 125
Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think that half of the fun of owning an aquarium is the search for occupants. When I was setting up my 72 gal planted, I looked all over (about 15 different LFS) to decide what I wanted. My suggestion, make your tank originally yours and visit multiple LFS. Typically you will find 90% the same fish at each one (after all, they do typically shop at the same markets), but it's that 9% of different and 1% of unique fish that add to the fun.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I started by looking at fish in books, then going to the store to find them, but if the store didn't have them I'd get something else I liked. I'd just get a couple or a group of 4 or 6 each time, then wait and see how they settled in before going for something else. I had great fun choosing and I enjoy my tank a lot. Good luck - Have fun.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

my favourite is the pearl gourami its neither small neither is it too big , it has a lot of character and is truely beautiful, you will need a male and female tho' so that the male has someone to display its lovely colours to. [the whole of its underside glows red when showing off]
Old 05-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #8

We like the peace and tranquility of the tank - i don't like them chasing each other. Therefore we go for different coloured guppies - we have red, yellow, purple, green, blue and black. The range is amazing and 'cos they are small you can have plenty of them. And one betta and one long tailed algae eater.

Alternatively just go fo one huge oscar
Old 05-24-2003, 05:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Ramrebel
be careful about tinfoilbarbs!!! they took over my tank and now I have only 2 of them.... and nothing else.

20g - fireparrot
Ramrebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com