Help with discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any advice on keeping discus would help. Temp, ph levels and how many is the minimum and max numbers for a 125g with a bunch of tetras. Thanks :)

Discus prefer 80 - 86°F for the temp. As far as Ph, Ive heard they like the acidic side of the scale, but if acclimated properly, they could do fine in neutral Ph side.

I think a group of 5-8 could go in the 125 with the tetras. What kind of tetras do you have?

tyspot1000 said:
Discus prefer 80 - 86°F for the temp. As far as Ph, Ive heard they like the acidic side of the scale, but if acclimated properly, they could do fine in neutral Ph side.

I think a group of 5-8 could go in the 125 with the tetras. What kind of tetras do you have?

Black skirt tetras. I'm thinking 7 of those and 10 cardinal tetras. What do you think? 2 bristlenose pleco and a BGKF..

Hmm, Im not sure about the Black skirts and higher temps, but you could always try. The cardinals will do good though.

The Black ghost knife should do alright with the discus, just make sure to have it densely planted with fake/live plants, Also make sure to have a hollow cave or something. This fish is sensitive to light and needs some cover. Also make sure the temp does not exceed 82 degrees.

tyspot1000 said:
Hmm, Im not sure about the Black skirts and higher temps, but you could always try. The cardinals will do good though.

The Black ghost knife should do alright with the discus, just make sure to have it densely planted with fake/live plants, Also make sure to have a hollow cave or something. This fish is sensitive to light and needs some cover. Also make sure the temp does not exceed 82 degrees.

The temp not exceeding 82F is for the black ghost? As for plants, I'll have 20 live plants by the end of this day. Should I just remove the pots and replace it with driftwood or more plants? Thanks Ty.

Yes for the BGK

You can keep the pots and driftwood in there, but just make sure to have a hollow piece of driftwood or a hollow cave that the BGK can get in and get some rest from the light. You could get a floating plant do dim the light.

tyspot1000 said:
Yes for the BGK

You can keep the pots and driftwood in there, but just make sure to have a hollow piece of driftwood or a hollow cave that the BGK can get in and get some rest from the light. You could get a floating plant do dim the light.

My black ghost like to hide in between the pots or rocks. I'd probably replace the pots with driftwood and add more plants for a more natural/nature look. And the driftwood will help to soften the water which is good for the fishes, particularly the discus. :)

I keep mine at 84, pH of 7. They were hatched and raised in a pH of 7, and are doing just fine. I think the more wild the discus, the lower the pH needs to be. I've got large pieces of driftwood to keep the water soft, several live plants including hygro, anubias, red lily, red tiger lotus, and dwarf sag. I feed them three times a day. Bloodworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, discus pellets, and flake food. I try to spend time hand feeding them, that will help make them less shy. I also do 25% wc, 2x a week.

Back
Top Bottom