Help with Pool Filter Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
just curious if anyone has the brand seagull pool filter sand?
I bought some the other day and i was hoping that it was a light color but it is pretty brown.

so i wanted to know if anyone is using that type of brand? and probably put a picture on here so i could see what it looks like in a tank! thanks! :)

I think you may have just got a dark Bach. Mine has remained the same color. Maybe buy some new sand? It was only 8$ at a pool maintenance store.

Paulcm10 said:
thanks! but why silica sand?
isn't pfs silica sand?
and also how do you like your seagull pfs so far?

Well I say silica because my 50 pound bag says seagull silica on it. It is the same exact thing. I love it. I cleaned it outside with a spicket and a bucket really well so I had no clouding from dust. It's small like sand, but large enough to sink well and not worry about filter problems. The fish poo stays on top nicely for gravel vacuuming. My eartheaters enjoy it as well as my rams. Have a few corydoras that like to sift it a little!

Well I say silica because my 50 pound bag says seagull silica on it. It is the same exact thing. I love it. I cleaned it outside with a spicket and a bucket really well so I had no clouding from dust. It's small like sand, but large enough to sink well and not worry about filter problems. The fish poo stays on top nicely for gravel vacuuming. My eartheaters enjoy it as well as my rams. Have a few corydoras that like to sift it a little!

oh okay. well i will try to find some white ones.
i like the seagull brand cause i have read some good things about it. lets just hope i get the lighter batch haha.

Paulcm10 said:
hopefully. i did see some all purpose sand and play sand at lowes... i just need to know the grain size...

Well, I know play sand is realy fine. It will work, I just prefer silica. Cheap and heavy enough to sink fast so I don't worry about my filters.

Mine is tan and dark brown colored. Got mine at Home Depot for $6 for a 50lb bag. I wanted the lighter color too but I couldn't find it anywhere so I got what they had.

Well, I know play sand is realy fine. It will work, I just prefer silica. Cheap and heavy enough to sink fast so I don't worry about my filters.

thats one of the things i worried about because i did not want my filter to die.. i spent good money on it! haha

Mine is tan and dark brown colored. Got mine at Home Depot for $6 for a 50lb bag. I wanted the lighter color too but I couldn't find it anywhere so I got what they had.

can you post a picture? i'd like to see what it looks like :)

Paulcm10 said:
thats one of the things i worried about because i did not want my filter to die.. i spent good money on it! haha

I'm with ya. I'm always worried my Xp3 is going to suck something bad up. Whenever I work the sand or add more, I just unplug the filter, let it settle over 60 sec then plug it back in. I have been doing this for a year now in my 60 no problems at all. I think your in for a real treat when you find the type of sand you want!

I'm with ya. I'm always worried my Xp3 is going to suck something bad up. Whenever I work the sand or add more, I just unplug the filter, let it settle over 60 sec then plug it back in. I have been doing this for a year now in my 60 no problems at all. I think your in for a real treat when you find the type of sand you want!

i think its PFS but i want a lighter one lol.
PFS sinks quick too

Back
Top Bottom