How about those Clear Water drops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took a look at a friends tank and his water is noticably more clear than mine, from the same water supply and much less maintenence overall. If I fill a glass up with tap water, it is not even crystal clear to start with for whatever reason. My friend adds the same Clear Water drops I have to his water when he does maintenence, and says that even when his tanks look perfect, the drops help that much more. Are these drops safe? My water is clear enough that I am not too worried about it, but it would be neat to get it looking even better :)

I believe what you refer to is a chemical bonding agent that actually bonds to suspended material in the water and causes it to sink. If you want to make the water really clear use a diatom filter (some LFS will rent them to you), or you can try using some carbon in your Eheim or something, or find a really fine floss, if such a thing exists. I am not sure about these water clearing products, which may be safe, but I prefer to avoid using chemicals.

Forgot all about using carbon, I will try that right now :)

My father has a Vortex diatom filter, but I have a HOT Magnum sitting in a box. I can use that instead instead. If I fail to have any luck with the carbon, I will put some DE powder in the Hot Magnum with the Micron cartirdge and give it a try.

grimlock3000 said:
Forgot all about using carbon, I will try that right now :)

My father has a Vortex diatom filter, but I have a HOT Magnum sitting in a box. I can use that instead instead. If I fail to have any luck with the carbon, I will put some DE powder in the Hot Magnum with the Micron cartirdge and give it a try.

Please let me know how that works. I was thinking of buying a HOT magnum and putting DE powder with the micron cartridge. I emailed Marineland asking them if I could do that and they gave me this story about DE powder causing cancer in fish. I don't beleive that. If it works for you. I will buy a HOT magnum for myself. Thanks!
Jim

Oh Yes! If you have a HOT Magnum you are golden! I have heard many a good thing about this method, including Timbo2's sticky in the DIY forum here about this very thing.

experienced in this subject... Water clearing drops normally have a side effect on phosphates in the water.. if you notice they are normally for ponds where there may be some form of dirt or peat to soak these up (although they wont print THAT on the bottle) If yo have a NEED for this i would also put in a PHOS-X or phosphate sponge of some sort.. in the long run if you feel crystal water clarity is a must i would invest $75-$150 in a UV Sterilizer and Pump (I did) water is clear as the glass on a brand new tank :wink:

I purchased some B-Clear and P-Clear over the summer. I forget what the B stood for, but P was for particles. It claimed to bond suspended particles together to clear cloudy water. I used it twice. When I added it, it made things a little cloudier, then the next day the water was crystal. I was uneasy about adding chemicals like that, so I stored the bottle. After a water change, my bf thought the tank was cloudy and added some again. It works, but I find that if I just let the tank settle for a day, I get the same result without adding chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom