how long will my bacterial colony live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sigpi906

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have disconnected a Fluval 104 from my aquarium and am planning on using it when I set up another tank after Christmas.

I did not drain the water from the canister, I just turned it off and left it full of media and water.

My question is how long the bacterial colony will live without water running through the filter. I'd like to keep it established so I won't have to cycle the new tank (or rather, not as much) since I'll be adding an established filter AND established substrate.

Let me know what y'all think.

It probably won't make it. Is there a way you can hook it back up so you can dose it with pure ammo and continue to feed the bb?

Yeah, I can hook it back up for a few days. . Just thought I"d ask what the life expectancy was for these things.

I'd say a week. That's the longest I've heard of it lasting, but I would put an air pump in the canister

Can you put the hoses in a bucket of water and leave it running and dose the water with ammonia or food?

Back
Top Bottom