Identify my Pleco, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've gotten myself in quite the Pleco-predicament, I don't have a clue what kind it is or if it is male or female.

It's the typical story, I got it at Petsmart when it was a tiny little thing and I didn't know anything about it and was never told, so I've been a Pleco owner for a couple years now. It sadly had to grow up in a 20g tank for the longest time but it is now in a 55g and hopefully I don't have to get rid of it, but I will if it is for the better. Anyways, here are some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated!

eIJoDg3.jpg

VtDs8EZ.jpg

Looks like a sailfin Pleco to me. Pretty sure it's male judging by the way the dorsal fin extends.

If it is a sailfin, which looks like a match to me, be prepared.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428315056.266004.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Looks like a sailfin Pleco to me. Pretty sure it's male judging by the way the dorsal fin extends.

Finnage is not a sure way to sex plecos, besides the obvious fact that it is still a juvie, there is no way to sex it right now, unless the tank was deviously decorated to make the fish look small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finnage is not a sure way to sex plecos, besides the obvious fact that it is still a juvie, there is no way to sex it right now, unless the tank was deviously decorated to make the fish look small.

He is about 8" long, how long do Plecos take to reach full size? I have had it for about 2-3 years.

Going with the idea that it is a Sailfin, should I be looking to get rid of it? I'll try the LFS first and see what happens. Thanks for the help so far!

He is about 8" long, how long do Plecos take to reach full size? I have had it for about 2-3 years.

Going with the idea that it is a Sailfin, should I be looking to get rid of it? I'll try the LFS first and see what happens. Thanks for the help so far!

Well then that changes things a bit. I'd like to say male because of the more slender body, but it may still be too young to tell. Sailfins are a long lived fish and most long lived fish are slow to mature, even the small zebra pleco takes 4-7 years. Unless you have 100+ gallon tank laying around, then you will want to consider rehoming it as they grow to 20"

Well then that changes things a bit. I'd like to say male because of the more slender body, but it may still be too young to tell. Sailfins are a long lived fish and most long lived fish are slow to mature, even the small zebra pleco takes 4-7 years. Unless you have 100+ gallon tank laying around, then you will want to consider rehoming it as they grow to 20"

He has been returned to my LFS. They have yellow bristlenose Plecos and they say they are smaller, is this true or should I get some Otos? They're all in quarantine for another week or so, so I have a while to choose.

Oto's are much better unless you just like the pleco species. Oto's make much less waste and actually eat a good deal of algae. One thing people have problems with them though is life span. A pleco has a much longer span.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oto's are much better unless you just like the pleco species. Oto's make much less waste and actually eat a good deal of algae. One thing people have problems with them though is life span. A pleco has a much longer span.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
How many Oto's are recommended for a 55G? I don't really care too much about having a Pleco or not but the yellow bristlenose definitely looks interesting!

Oto do a better job than pleco's. IMO...

5-6 would be fine they are small fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Reactions: aok
Back
Top Bottom