Internal filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read many different forums about internal filters but haven't quite found my answer. My Atman AT-F203 will pump 2000L/H. Will this oxygenate my 100 gallon aquarium or such I invest in an air stone?

Depends if the outflow of water from the filter breaks the surface of tank water, I.e. splashes.

in my 55g tank i used to have a internal filter running, it wasn't that great, it was actually ment for max 45g but i had a small one running besides it. the big filter "disturbed" the surface, it caused small ripples but it didn't make any noise, and i never had oxygen problems.

i'm not sure an oxygen stone is efficent anyway, releasing CO2 through a oxygen stone is not recommended as very very little co2 gets mixed with the water, so chances are you're best off with just the filter.

Air stones oxygenate the water by causing surface turbulence, there will also be a small amount of oxygen deposited into the water from the bubbles themselves.
From my understanding the tank size rating on filters is more to accommodate the bio load of the fish.

With a 2000l/h filter you are doing approximately 5x the water volume per hour. For highly stocked tanks it is recommended to do 10x the tank volume per hour, but on average most people should shoot for 5x-10x the tank volume. While it may oxygenate the tank just fine it might be a good idea to add some extra filtration. You will also have to look at how the flow of the filter is disturbing the surface and re position it accordingly.

Right, all of this makes sense. I'll have live plants too. Would this help the oxygen?

Without having equipment to detect co2 concentrations in my planted tanks I would have to assume it will only make a sizable difference in the oxygen saturation of your tank if you are directly adding CO2.

Plants need CO2 to put oxygen into the water. The more CO2 that is available to the plants, the more oxygen they will create.

Can you show me a picture and explain exactly how a Co2 system works in a aquarium?

Tank Filtration

I've read many different forums about internal filters but haven't quite found my answer. My Atman AT-F203 will pump 2000L/H. Will this oxygenate my 100 gallon aquarium or such I invest in an air stone?

Hello K Phil...

A tank needs a filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of at least 4 times the volume of the tank, for proper gas exchange. So, you can do the math. A 100 gallon tank needs a filter or combination of filters that will turn over 400 gallons of tank water every hour. 2,000 liters is roughly 500 gallons. So, yes. This filtration system is more than sufficient for your 100 gallon tank.

B

Can you show me a picture and explain exactly how a Co2 system works in a aquarium?

Plants need a source of carbon to create energy for growth. There will usually be a small amount of CO2 in a tank that comes from the atmosphere which the plants will use.

When plants breathe in CO2, they will take the carbon from the CO2 and breathe out oxygen.

In an aquarium there are 3 main sources of CO2 for plants to use. From fish, chemical additives, and through co2 being diffused in the water.

The amount of co2 that fish create is generally enough for low light plants.

Chemical additives add carbon to the water that some plants can use. There isn't any oxygen attached to this kind of carbon so it doesn't help with oxygenation. Seachem's Excel is an example of this.

Diffused CO2 increases the amount of co2 in the water directly for plants to use. Either a DIY co2 system or Pressurized co2 system gives this.

Additional carbon sources are generally required for anything above a low light planted system.

As for the GPH of a filter, I feel that more is better unless your fish are getting thrown around by the current which is very difficult to do. I have a filter on my 55g which does approximately 4x the water volume per hour and I find that it doesn't create nearly enough flow in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom