Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Invertebrates

Hey everyone,

I have a 55 gallon community tank that I am in the process of stocking.

I was curious if anyone had any successful invertebrates that grrrrr along with community fish?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

shrimp and snails

Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have heard that snails can mass reproduce... or fish attempt to eat the snails.

Fyi I have a freshwater tank... My bad
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Of course it'll depend on your stock. I have had a kribensis with RCS along with other snails.

But some community fish eats invertebrates so it's about the research.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

We need to know which fish you have or will have. Some will eat the inverts, some won't.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right now I currently have 5 serpae tetras, 2 rosy barb and 2 neon barb, looking to add corys, more barbs, potentially a red tail or rainbow shark
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The shark will be an issue with shrimp. Rainbow sharks should have at least 55 gallons (I prefer 75), but red tails must have 75. They're more aggressive.

My rainbow shark ate my school of danios, so I wouldn't trust it with inverts.

The corys will be fine. I have different cory species in my RCS tank.

The larger the species, the more you need to be concerned about them making the inverts lunch.

You need to build up your existing schools. I would add 3 more serpaes and at least 4 more of each barb. Corys will need groups of at least 5.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome advice! Well while on the subject I guess I will steer clear of sharks for now. I definitely want to add corys and build up my barb schools. I would like to add some more variety to my tank, any species suggestions?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you should add a large school of kuhli loaches to the bottom level, too. They have a small bioload. I have over a dozen of them in my community tank and just love them to bits. They are very entertaining and they don't bother anybody. Mine used to school with my krib fry.

Perhaps you could look into bamboo shrimp rather than a small invert. They are a lot of fun and really beautiful. They're large enough that the fish won't bother them. I can also recommend amano and ghost shrimp with your fish.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nerite snails should be fine and can't reproduce in FW. Snail infestations aren't ever a given. They are a symptom or overfeeding or inadequate maintenance. That said, other than ramshorns and nerites most aren't much to look at anyways.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome advice guys! Anyone have any schooling top water swimmers, who dont mind current? And/or an attractive centerpiece fish?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Singapore flower shrimp. Mine is absolutely awesome.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
Awesome advice guys! Anyone have any schooling top water swimmers, who dont mind current? And/or an attractive centerpiece fish?

Hatchets if the tank is covered, midsize danios (d. kyathit, roseus, etc) otherwise. For a centerpiece, there are a ton of choices so I can't really suggest one without knowing what you like. Personally, I'd do a trio of pearl gourami, but I'm partial to that fish. lol
Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo
I would say Rainbowfish like Furcatas or Threadfins but Serpaes can be very pushy and little Rainbows can't compete.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
invertebrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com