Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Is GE Silicone I (100% silicone) OK for use in tanks?

I know better than to use the 'Kitchen and Bath' type because of the algaecide. So, I purchased a tube of GE Silicone I (Windows and Doors) at my local hardware store.

It says 100% silicone rubber, however, nowhere on the tube does it say anything about it's suitability for aquariums. I'm thinking of using it to reseal a FW tank (if that makes a difference - vs. SW).

I have done some research on the NET and found that some people have used it in aquariums with no problems.

Do any of you have any experiences with this product ?

and if so, are they good, bad or indifferent?

I'll hold off on using it until I find out more info.

Old 11-14-2002, 01:44 PM   #2

Boy, its been a while since i resealed a tank, so I can't recall the brand. However, what I used was labelled-- clear, 100% silicone--, much the same as what you posted. I used it with no problems at all. I think you will be fine, but would also like to hear some others chime in on this.

One thing I do know is it is much easier to work with the rigid kind of tubes you put in a caulking gun, as opposed to the kind you squeeze by hand (like a big tube of toothpaste). The caulking gun gives you much more control, and a better bead. Hope this helps some.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Thanks corvuscorax.

Quote:
it is much easier to work with the rigid kind of tubes you put in a caulking gun
Yes it sure is. That's why I purchased that type.

I am actually getting curious now because if this works out OK, then there is a potential "conspiracy" in the silicone industry.

I purchased this large tube for $3.89 Canadian ( that's about $2.50 US ), compared to about $14.00 Canadian for a much smaller tube of "Aquarium quality" silicone at the LFS.

I have also read something along the lines of the silicone in both these products are the same, however the manufacturing process for the Aquarium quality product is more "fish friendly".

At any rate, I would still love to hear any other experiences.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
GE silicone

I have used the GE l and ll silicone to reseal tanks and seal home made bulkhead fittings and have never had any trouble with it.
Logan J
Old 11-15-2002, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nejsux
There are also silicones on the market (although i don't remember which brand) that are marketed as for "food service areas" they appeared to be 100% silicone also. It wasn't the same as the kitchen & bath type. I helped a friend reseal his tank and he's had no problems. our thoughts were that if it's safe to be in contact with our food, then it's probably safe for fishies too.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:55 AM   #6

100% clear silicone is fine! it is all in how they are marketed...many products are that way....lots of ppl don't know better and would pay the 14 dollars

Tags
silicone, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com