Is GE Silicone I (100% silicone) OK for use in tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know better than to use the 'Kitchen and Bath' type because of the algaecide. So, I purchased a tube of GE Silicone I (Windows and Doors) at my local hardware store.

It says 100% silicone rubber, however, nowhere on the tube does it say anything about it's suitability for aquariums. I'm thinking of using it to reseal a FW tank (if that makes a difference - vs. SW).

I have done some research on the NET and found that some people have used it in aquariums with no problems.

Do any of you have any experiences with this product ?

and if so, are they good, bad or indifferent?

I'll hold off on using it until I find out more info.

Boy, its been a while since i resealed a tank, so I can't recall the brand. However, what I used was labelled-- clear, 100% silicone--, much the same as what you posted. I used it with no problems at all. I think you will be fine, but would also like to hear some others chime in on this.

One thing I do know is it is much easier to work with the rigid kind of tubes you put in a caulking gun, as opposed to the kind you squeeze by hand (like a big tube of toothpaste). The caulking gun gives you much more control, and a better bead. Hope this helps some.

Thanks corvuscorax.

it is much easier to work with the rigid kind of tubes you put in a caulking gun

Yes it sure is. That's why I purchased that type.

I am actually getting curious now because if this works out OK, then there is a potential "conspiracy" in the silicone industry. :evil:

I purchased this large tube for $3.89 Canadian ( that's about $2.50 US ), compared to about $14.00 Canadian for a much smaller tube of "Aquarium quality" silicone at the LFS.

I have also read something along the lines of the silicone in both these products are the same, however the manufacturing process for the Aquarium quality product is more "fish friendly".

At any rate, I would still love to hear any other experiences.

GE silicone

I have used the GE l and ll silicone to reseal tanks and seal home made bulkhead fittings and have never had any trouble with it.
Logan J

There are also silicones on the market (although i don't remember which brand) that are marketed as for "food service areas" they appeared to be 100% silicone also. It wasn't the same as the kitchen & bath type. I helped a friend reseal his tank and he's had no problems. our thoughts were that if it's safe to be in contact with our food, then it's probably safe for fishies too.

100% clear silicone is fine! it is all in how they are marketed...many products are that way....lots of ppl don't know better and would pay the 14 dollars

Back
Top Bottom