Kissing Gourami Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiefish51

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two kissing gouramis and i am not sure if the food i feed them is to there liking. They will sometimes eat it and then sometimes won't. What foods do they like? And i know they eat algee so is that why they are not always eating the foods i feed them??

I've never heard of kissing gouramis eating algae. I believe they will eat any flakes, pellets, or freezed food if you keep trying. How big is your tank? Kissing gouramis get about ten inches long.

The ones I have seen will eat anything, they will appreciate a good veggie based flake in their diet.

Yea ive read it in articles about the fish and they say they eat and pick at algae. I have several kissers in all different tanks but the ones that dont eat are in a 55 gallon. They pick at all my fake decor and eat food off it i would guess cause they always pick at the plants

rich311k said:
The ones I have seen will eat anything, they will appreciate a good veggie based flake in their diet.

I tried lettuce but they didnt eat it

bruinsbro1997 said:
Did you prepare the lettuce before hand? Most fish don't really like fresh lettuce. I reccomend boiling it and blanching it or frosting and then defrosting it and soaking it in water.

Ive soaked it but they didn't like that. Ill try boiling it. Should I leave it at the top of the water?

Yes, if you give them time eventually they will eat it. It's hard for them to adjust to something they've never tried so keep trying and they will eventually eat :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yes, if you give them time eventually they will eat it. It's hard for them to adjust to something they've never tried so keep trying and they will eventually eat :)

Ok thank you so much :) how big of a leaf should I use?

It's all up to you. Personally I would just boil a leaf or two, shred them to make them easier for the fish to eat and net out anything they don't.

bruinsbro1997 said:
It's all up to you. Personally I would just boil a leaf or two, shred them to make them easier for the fish to eat and net out anything they don't.

Ok thanks a million

I had a large kisser I recently re-homed , he was a very picky eater , he would only eat frozen blood worms , kissers do eat algae even my bigger one would , the say not to clean the back glass so the kissers can graze the algae there , my smaller kisser would eat anything , flake , brine shrimp , blood worms , algae wafers

xwesx1978 said:
I had a large kisser I recently re-homed , he was a very picky eater , he would only eat frozen blood worms , kissers do eat algae even my bigger one would , the say not to clean the back glass so the kissers can graze the algae there , my smaller kisser would eat anything , flake , brine shrimp , blood worms , algae wafers

I have the same thing. One of my kissers will kinda eat flakes and hates frezze dried blood worms (eats it and spits out) but likes lettuce now too. But the other one wont toch the flakes, freeze dried bloodworms and kinda eats the lettuce. I guess ill try brine shrimp. Do they like live food?

My two a very fussy.. They don't eat frozen bloodworms, they eat flake food but spit out flake food if they don't want it. They like peas and algae wafers and maybe a bit of cucumber.

Cleggat said:
My two a very fussy.. They don't eat frozen bloodworms, they eat flake food but spit out flake food if they don't want it. They like peas and algae wafers and maybe a bit of cucumber.

how do i feed them peas? Do i cook them?

ok hopefully they will like the peas and great thats all I need is more waste in the water :)

Back
Top Bottom