Monster Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I might be getting a 220 gallon tank and haven't decided on fish yet. I want bigger fish that will do well in a semi-aggressive tank. This all I know that I want for sure.
1 Silver Arowana
1 Common Pleco

Any ideas? I'm open to just about anything that can live with an Arow.

Get bichirs they are awesome and extremely easy to keep. Oscars are another sweet choice that will get along with the aro.

Myfisheatsyours said:
Get bichirs they are awesome and extremely easy to keep. Oscars are another sweet choice that will get along with the aro.

You can have a potential problem with Plecos and Polypterus as sometime Plecos can latch onto them and stress them to the point of infection and death.

Again, that is just a potential risk. I've heard some accounts on Pleco attacks and Pleco leaving them alone.

But I do agree that Bichirs are a great choice. You can do even larger species like Ornate, Endelicheri, or other lower jaw species. (Ornate is an upper jaw species just to let you know)

Yeah I have a Bichir right now in my 150.
1 Arow
1 Bichir
1Pleco
1 Oscar
1 Clown Knife
Anything else? I like Pacus but I don't know if the tank is big enough. Any Cat fish ideas??

Clown knife??? I'm not sure about if they'll fit I just think their cool!:)

Predfan27 said:
You can have a potential problem with Plecos and Polypterus as sometime Plecos can latch onto them and stress them to the point of infection and death.

Again, that is just a potential risk. I've heard some accounts on Pleco attacks and Pleco leaving them alone.

But I do agree that Bichirs are a great choice. You can do even larger species like Ornate, Endelicheri, or other upper jaw species. (Ornate is a lower jaw species just to let you know)

My plecos get a long fine with my Bichir. Is a Dinosaur Bichir a larger one??

Lexilove said:
Clown knife??? I'm not sure about if they'll fit I just think their cool!:)

Oh yeah I love those I think 180 g is minimum so I think they'll fit.

vanimal said:
My plecos get a long fine with my Bichir. Is a Dinosaur Bichir a larger one??

Actually the Dinosaur Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus) is among the smallest Bichir (alongside P. Palmas Palmas and P. Palmas Polli). All three of those max out at around 8-10 inches long in the aquaria (or so has been my experience with my 2 P. Senegalus).

P. Ornatapinnis (Ornate Bichir) is a beautiful species and gets to be around 18-24 inches long and pretty thick also. P. Delhezi gets about 16-18 inches long. That concludes most readily available species (also, all mentioned so far are upper jaw species).

P. Endelicheri gets to be massive at 24+ inches. It's really one of the few lower jaw species you can find.

Anything you need about Polypterus, I'm your guy :) have a passion for them although sadly I don't have a tank for them at this time :(

Predfan27 said:
Actually the Dinosaur Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus) is among the smallest Bichir (alongside P. Palmas Palmas and P. Palmas Polli). All three of those max out at around 8-10 inches long in the aquaria (or so has been my experience with my 2 P. Senegalus).

P. Ornatapinnis (Ornate Bichir) is a beautiful species and gets to be around 18-24 inches long and pretty thick also. P. Delhezi gets about 16-18 inches long. That concludes most readily available species (also, all mentioned so far are upper jaw species).

P. Endelicheri gets to be massive at 24+ inches. It's really one of the few lower jaw species you can find.

Anything you need about Polypterus, I'm your guy :) have a passion for them although sadly I don't have a tank for them at this time :(

Ok thanks! I might have to stick to the Dinosaurs due to cost :/ but we'll see if i even get the tank and how much $$ I have left.

vanimal said:
Are senegals and dinosaurs the same thing?

Senegalus is the scientific name. Common names are Senegal Bichir, Dinosaur Bichir, Dinosaur Eel. Although I hate that last one -_-

Back
Top Bottom