My blue mystery snail died.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacqueline13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When i bought it, i noticed It wasn't as active as my yellow one. It was fine one day and the next it died. I don't k ow why

Jacqueline13 said:
When i bought it, i noticed It wasn't as active as my yellow one. It was fine one day and the next it died. I don't k ow why

Are you sure the snail was dead? Mystery snails sometimes sleep for over a day. Did you smell it? That's how I do it. Sometimes I get concerned that my snails are dead. My way to find out is to smell the snails and if they smell rotten that means it's dead.

roydooms said:
Are you sure the snail was dead? Mystery snails sometimes sleep for over a day. Did you smell it? That's how I do it. Sometimes I get concerned that my snails are dead. My way to find out is to smell the snails and if they smell rotten that means it's dead.

Yea I Didn't even need to smell it. As soon as I took it out it smelled bad.

You're not suppose to replace the cartridge unless it is falling apart because a lot of beneficial bacteria lives in there. That may have had caused a mini-cycle. What is you water parameters? Check you ammonia and nitrite level. If you can do it now that would be great. So that we can help you a lot better.

roydooms said:
You're not suppose to replace the cartridge unless it is falling apart because a lot of beneficial bacteria lives in there. That may have had caused a mini-cycle. What is you water parameters? Check you ammonia and nitrite level. If you can do it now that would be great. So that we can help you a lot better.

Well it was already green and even saw a little tiny plant growing on it. And they're both 0 :)

You're only suppose to clean it with old aquarium water. Usually when you do a PWC. When did you take The cartridge out? When did you check the ammonia and nitrite?

roydooms said:
You're only suppose to clean it with old aquarium water. Usually when you do a PWC. When did you take The cartridge out? When did you check the ammonia and nitrite?

Well I just got the tank about 3 weeks ago. So I haven't done one. Cartridge out yesterday. And just now. So what should I do?

3 weeks? I'm assuming your tank is not cycled. Do you already have fish in the tank? Can you still return them?

roydooms said:
3 weeks? I'm assuming your tank is not cycled. Do you already have fish in the tank? Can you still return them?

I have two mollies and the yellow snail left. And I don't think so.

Do you have a test kit? Most members here recommend API freshwater master test kit. The test strips are inaccurate. Test your water so we can help you more and so we can advise you what's the ideal thing to do next.

Jacqueline13 said:
Ok. Where can I buy one?

Any LFS will have those test kits. Petco, petsmart and any other fish store. Go to where you got your fish and ask them about it. The API test kit is usually around $30 but it is worth it.

Just to be safe, I'll do a 50% PWC assuming that there is no Beneficial bacteria in your tank yet that will convert fish waste in to a less toxic waste and any level of ammonia and nitrite in the tank is toxic to your fish.

That'll work. Most members here recommends PRIME by seachem. It also detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Making it less toxic for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom