MY new fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i like the chocolate gourami, although im very pleased with my kissing and moonlight gourami (dwarf gourami are kinda jerks, and i'd fear for the neons

After much experience and headache with Gourami's.....I'm not a huge fan. I've only been able to keep the peace keeping a single gourami of a specific species per tank. I currently have a gold and a blue neon dwarf in seperate tanks that are doing great. They each had a partner to start off with, but the dominate gourami eventually killed off the weakest link.

What size tank is it? That will decide which gourami you can keep.

I'd personally add a couple more neons and rasboras. 3 isn't a good number for schoolers IMO.

I have a male and female honey dwarf, and 2 (not sure on sexes) irridescent in my 46g, no worries from anyone else in the tank, nor do they bother anyone.

The irridescents are both 4" now, and were 2.5 & 3 when I transferred them from my 10g where they grew up from .5".

Good luck on your decision.

personally, I like the coloration of the neon blue dwarf and dwarf. I had some gold guaramis a while back ... they just picked on each other and the rest of the tank too much for my liking ... that's why I got cichlids ... LOL

oh yeah ... if you decide on the chocolate, you might want to read up ... i remember something about them being picky with some water conditions

Ahh, a 10g. Personally I'd decide between the neons and harlequins and take whichever one you don't keep to the LFS and get 3 more of the ones you keep. A school of 6 is much better. Then you can get a dwarf gourami. The larger gouramis (opaline, gold, blue, pearl, moonlight) don't belong in a 10g.

I'd get either a dwarf, honey, or chocolate gourami.

If you can't part with the harlies or neons, I'd get 2 more of each type and not add anything else to the tank. 10g tanks are small...remember that. And research before you buy...3 isn't a sufficient number for a school. :)

If you decide to keep two small schools, a group of 3 panda cories on the bottom would work. If you do 6 of one and get a dwarf gourami you could up the cories to 5.

I have yet to see a gourami in either of the pet stores around here, iono why but they never have them, they did have 2 a few weeks ago but they weren't for sale, I suppose they passed on since they looked pretty sick

if you can get your hands on the sparkling gouramis they are sweet, small and colourful, zero aggression and perfect for a 10gal

Back
Top Bottom