Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freckles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI all :)

I just got a new 29 gallon tank (upgrading from an established 20 gallon, and reusing the decorations/rocks/filter from the 20gal). After transferring all of my fish, I decided it looked a little lifeless with so few fish, so I got a few more. Now I am concerned that I've overstocked it.

I have:

1 - 5" swordtail
1 - 1" angelfish
1 - 2.5" rainbow shark
2 - full grown cory cats
1 - harlequin rasbora
6 - neon tetras

1) Is it overstocked right now, with the current sizes of the fish?
2) Will it be overstocked when all fish get to their mature sizes?

Here's a pic. I am shamelessly showing this thing off to anyone who will look, lol, I am very excited about this tank!

Attachments

• fishtank 008.jpg
    fishtank 008.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 100
No it's not overstocked and won't be...but rainbow sharks need a much larger tank.
And harlequin rasboras are schoolers so you'll want to add to that school, you want at lest 5 of them and the cories and that'll be we'll stocked

Thank you for the advice.

I had no idea about the rainbow shark. I got it because my boyfriend likes them and was asking me to get one for this tank - he had a 6" one in a 20 gallon tank and it seemed to do fine in that size tank, and with all the other fish.

I should have done my research! I just did some and it seems that shark will be a terrible fit. I will probably end up taking it back.

I love the fact you posted that you have a 5" swordtail! Most people don't believe they can get that large and think they stay that tiny size of when they bought them. You should post a picture of him if you can!

Probably slightly overstocked long term due to the Angelfish but nothing terrifying...

However the Rainbow shark needs to be rehomed as in a small tank such as that it will become territorial and likely take out a lot of your smaller fish.

Really nice tank freckles!

I have 4 lyre-tailed swordfish which are getting prettier (and bigger) all the time. Their fins & tails flow so beautifully when they swim. So cool to watch them grow and flourish!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

The rainbow shark starting following the swordtail around and eating bits off of its tail, so I returned it and got three more rasboras.

The Swordtail was picked out by a roommate - I wouldn't have picked it myself but I have fallen in love with it. It has such beautiful fins and looks so graceful when it swims!

More pix!

Attachments

• fish 006.jpg
    fish 006.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 61
  • fish 004.jpg
    fish 004.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 60
  • fish 005.jpg
    fish 005.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 64
  • fish 009.jpg
    fish 009.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 51
Your sword is VERY cool! I've got some. Tux's like him but they are still small and just started sexing out. I've got some marigolds getting close to his size females are 4.5" and the male is 4" not including tail. Pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom