Possible betta sorority tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Maybe I am posting too much, let me know lol.
I picked up a 20G from petco $1 per gallon sale yesterday and am interested in setting up a planted betta sorority. I read a couple of things about this and that it can be hard to do so I have a couple of questions.

1- Is 20 gallons big enough for 5-6 betta fish?
2- what kind of substrate is good for plants?
3- is it true that each betta has to be noticeably different or they'll fight?

Also it would probably be awhile untill I can actually start the tank up but I wanted to know as much as possible this time.

I am not the best resource for the best plant substrates but I can tell you that multiple Bettas, male or female, are at best a 50/50 chance of success. Females today have become more aggressive towards other females. Make sure you have A LOT of hiding places for the number of fish you get. A 20 gal long would be a better choice for that many fish than say, a 20 gal high. The more room you can give the fish the better. I would also put all the females in at one time. Adding them one or 2 at a time will usually result in very aggressive fighting.

Hope this helps. (y)

I am not the best resource for the best plant substrates but I can tell you that multiple Bettas, male or female, are at best a 50/50 chance of success. Females today have become more aggressive towards other females. Make sure you have A LOT of hiding places for the number of fish you get. A 20 gal long would be a better choice for that many fish than say, a 20 gal high. The more room you can give the fish the better. I would also put all the females in at one time. Adding them one or 2 at a time will usually result in very aggressive fighting.

Hope this helps. (y)

Do you think it would be easier if i bought them all as babies?

It would increase the odds of success but not guarantee it. There is never a guarantee with bettas. That's just the nature of the fish.

It would increase the odds of success but not guarantee it. There is never a guarantee with bettas. That's just the nature of the fish.

Theyre so cute *sigh* I wish they were easier to put together..

Maybe I could just have it a community tank with some tetras?

Theyre so cute *sigh* I wish they were easier to put together..

Maybe I could just have it a community tank with some tetras?
There's a reason the fish is called the Siamese Fighting fish. THAT is their nature. Their initial domestication was for fighting, not for the fins. The longer fins and different colors came later and from the better fighters. That's something that will probably never be 100% bred out of the fish.
Just an FYI ;)

There's a reason the fish is called the Siamese Fighting fish. THAT is their nature. Their initial domestication was for fighting, not for the fins. The longer fins and different colors came later and from the better fighters. That's something that will probably never be 100% bred out of the fish.
Just an FYI ;)

That is true lol I would still like to try it out one day, maybe when I'm more experienced.

Back
Top Bottom