RCS with Veintail Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phoenixkiller said:
Are Red Cherry Shrimp compatible with male Bettas? :thanks:

It depends on the betta. Most all of my bettas have been pretty chill with shrimp, although I've heard plenty of stories where shrimp go from pet to meal...

AquaKai said:
It depends on the betta. Most all of my bettas have been pretty chill with shrimp, although I've heard plenty of stories where shrimp go from pet to meal...

+1 it really just depends on the betta himself. The betta will get to some shrimplets though, but if you have lots of moss and hiding places some will make it:)

+1 it really just depends on the betta himself. The betta will get to some shrimplets though, but if you have lots of moss and hiding places some will make it:)
I have heard this as well for Ghost Shrimp, but I didn't know if they would behave differently around the smaller Red Cherry Shrimp. I'll probably change my mind and decide to go for 2 RCS to start off, to see if my betta will bother them in my cycled 10 gallon tank. Is it ok to have only 2 RCS for a week to see if my Betta will make a snack out of them?

phoenixkiller said:
I have heard this as well for Ghost Shrimp, but I didn't know if they would behave differently around the smaller Red Cherry Shrimp. I'll probably change my mind and decide to go for 2 RCS to start off, to see if my betta will bother them in my cycled 10 gallon tank. Is it ok to have only 2 RCS for a week to see if my Betta will make a snack out of them?

Yeah! I've had many bettas with ghost shrimp, and I've never had a betta take down one. IME ghost shrimp can fight back lol so try it with some RCS:) good luck!

Mine took 2 days and then killed and ate every single RCS in the tank. This was in a heavily planted 10g.
Oh that's reassuring... hahahaha! I hope this will work out...

If it doesn't, what are some PROVEN tankmates for RCS?

If none, I will just get the $0.33 Ghost Shrimp at Petsmart.

phoenixkiller said:

Tank mates kinda depend on some factors.....

Do you want to have lots of shrimp?
Any fish will usually munch on shrimplets, one way to get around this is to heavily plant the tank. Some baby shrimp will still get eaten though. If you want the shrimp to breed and have many baby's that make it to adulthood, it's best to not have any fish in the tank. With the exception of otos lol

If you don't mind the baby's getting eaten, nano fish are good. celestial pearl danios, chili rasboras, nano fish like that:) oh and algea eating fish are usually good with shrimp. I think the best is the Oto. I've never seen my chili rasboras eat any baby shrimp. Ive even seen my chili's share an algea wafer with some baby shrimp:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Shrimp Safe tankmates:
Otos
Threadfin Rainbowfish (tiny mouth and throat)
Dwarf Cories ( they could eat Shrimplets, but apparently don't that I know of, my habrosus are great with Shrimp)

Adult Shrimp Safe:
CPDs
Ember Tetras
Dwarf Rasboras (briggitae, merah, maculatus)
Other Dwarf Rainbows
Scarlet Badis

Regular Tetras may hunt down all sizes of Shrimp or so I've read.
Bettas love Shrimp and SOME don't realize they are food, MOST love to eat them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Amano Shrimp are a larger Shrimp if you want a regular Community Tank. I have them in with Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras and Neons.

Back
Top Bottom