Resealing a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fitsforfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Somebody has just offered to sell me their 85 Gallon tank w/ stand and everything else for a great deal. The only thing is they said it needs to be resealed. I have never seen the tank, and know nothing of resealing? I was just hoping that someone might enlighten me about resealing??
Thanks.

Oscarbreeder is right. It's not a bad job. Take a single edge razor blade and cut out the old silicone...just the surface bead...don't try to take the glass apart. Go to either Lowes or Home Depot and get some clear 100% pure silicone. You'll want the tubes that go in a caulking gun...don't even bother with the little sqeeze tubes...they aren't worth the trouble. Make sure what you buy is clear 100% pure silicone with no additives. Don't get the "windows and doors" or the "shower and bath" stuff. It has some nasty antifungal additives that will poison your fish. Seal the tank back up with it. Try to get at least 1/4" lap on each piece of glass and make sure the corners are run together good...no gaps or air bubbles. Let it cure for at least 24 hours and fill it up...shouldn't be any leaks. If there is still a leak, just cut out the offending portion and reseal it in that area...no need to redo the whole tank. HTH. :mrgreen:

I just did this on my 125 gallon. It's totally worth it if the price is right and the tank is clean.

I wrote an article (it's in the articles section) and a string of posts in the DIY part of the forums doing mine. It's not that bad!

Back
Top Bottom