Smallest corydoras for a five gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm purchasing a five gallon tank for my friend, she has been wanted to upgrade her betta tank, and her birthday is coming up, so I figured this would be a good present. I have Julii Cories in my 10 gallon, and she wants some as well. The only problem is, we don't have very many dwarf cories around this area. That being said, can any other cories go in this tank? Can dwarf cories even go in this tank? I want to make her happy but not at the sake of the fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not even Pygmy cories? That's too bad. I'm sure she would be happy with shrimps as well.

Pygmies are active little things! Just not enough room in a 5 gallon... :)

I'll try and convince her at a later point to upgrade to a 10 gallon then. For now, shrimp it is. I wanted to check in on here because I read forums saying 5 was okay with higher pwc, but on the same forum someone said they had 5 sparkling gouramis and 5 corydoras in a 5 gallon. All credibility flew out the window then.

I would just upgrade right to the 10 if possible unless there is a space requirement. I don't think it's possible to save any significant amount of money setting up a 5 vs a 10.

I would agree, but she keeps her tanks on a fairly poorly built dresser. I know it can take two 5 gallons (she already has one) but I'm not sure about the ten. Might just pick it up anyways. Not sure. I mean, I'm sure it could hold the ten gallon?

I kept a 10 gallon on a dresser, but it was pretty well built so it's hard to say.

That's what I'm currently doing. But my dresser is solid oak. Hers feels more like plywood. She's getting a new one eventually. But for now, I'm not sure if it will hold. If I *was* to get a ten gallon, how many Pygmy Cories could it hold?

I bought some shrimp just to see what would happen (ghost and amano) and surprisingly they have become my favorite part of my aquariums. I prefer them to my cories. My cories are all fun and I love them too, but I find it hilarious how the shrimp just kind of walk around and touch the other fish with the feelers like they don't care and whenever I feed my fish at least one always runs up real quick steals the pellet or worm or whatever and runs away with the whole thing to eat. I think some ghost shrimp would be great a alternative, she would be pleasantly surprised.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423320239.847084.jpg

This is my Amano shrimp he's my favorite but I've only ever found this guy and all my lfs tell me they can't order any, ghosts look similar but without gold stripe. Supposedly Amanos are good algae eaters I'm not sure how true it is I see him eat algae off my plants a lot but I've also seen my ghosts all so the same so I don't know if one is better then the other.

I'm might do that, but maybe go for red cherry shrimp. Just so she can see them!

My gourami ate my cherry shrimp

My gourami ate my cherry shrimp

I know my betta would be fine with shrimp, I'm not sure about hers though. I'm going to pick whatever I'm getting up today. At least a tank, depending on the size either cories or shrimp.

I would not mix a Dwarf Cory species and a Betta.

I'd only do Ghost Shrimp with a Betta as I've had a Betta slaughter RCS. Another Betta killed young Panda Cories.

Make sure she has a backup plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom