So what happens to all those plecos that outgrow their tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I see lots of "common" plecos for sale, and those that do their homework know they grow too large for the average home aquarium.

So...

1) Why do pet stores sell them and stock so many of them?

2) What's happening to them all when they outgrow their tanks?

Just curious.

I really want to know the answer to this as well. I also wonder about most Oscars, Iridescent Sharks and Clown Loaches since I see those fish EVERYWHERE and very few people would have a tank large enough to keep them. Fish stores always seem quick to reccomend a Pleco to clean up algae when they are not the best solution for most people. I actually had a lot of trouble finding a small Pleco when I decided to get one. I have no idea why stores stock these fish so readily when other options are availible to make people happy. When it comes down to it, fish are a product and pet stores want to make money. Only a couple of the fish stores where I live make sure people understand what they are getting into when they purchase a fish that will grow a lot. Both of these stores are non-chain pet stores.

I would like to think that these larger fish find homes with experienced fishkeepers. I think the reality is that the fish outgrow the tanks and die early, or that they get flushed. Once a fish gets to large for a tank, it is doomed to create too much bio waste for its own good or stress itself to death.

I do not know about Clown Loaches though... :? I am planning to have some and based on my research, very seldom do they grow to their full potential of 12-15 inches in captivity. Since almost all clowns are caught in the wild, I guess they do not want to grow to a foot-long in aquariums, and even if they did, it would have taken 10-20 years or more 8O BUT!!! it still does not answer question to what happens to the large fish that outgrows the tank, unless, of course, we do not eat it :)).

Well, Clown Loaches do not necessarily get huge like some other fish (12 inches +). But I see a lot of them end up in 10g tanks and the like. Since they are small and cute when sold in stores, people snatch them up. It is wishful thinking to think that a particular fish will grow slowly, or take a while to reach its max size. Any fish placed in a tank should be able to reach full size in that tank, UNLESS the person has a definite plan for what they will do with the fihs when it does get too big.

I like it Microwaved.

Put the raw filet on a plate, cover in lemon juice, garlic juice and garlic salt, turn hte microwave on high for until their done.

Mmm.... :yum:

um...not going to comment on the dinner suggestions (although i had a friend over the other day who wondered when I was going to eat my fish? wha!?).

I too wonder where they go...i've been trying to find a nice lfs home for my common pleco, but they'll only take him when their stock is diminished, and I swear they've always got a tank full of 'em (and always in their itty bitty deceptive size lol)

Yeah, I'll be up against this issue in a year or so. Didn't do my research when I got my plec (just took what the lfs handed me) and he's gone from an inch and a half to 8 inches in a little over a year. Once he hits a foot long, I'm going to have to find him a new home; I can't do a tank larger the 55g *sigh*

Well from what I see they get donated back to the fish stores. Every huge 14' pleco I have ever seen had been a "donation", according to the person working there. That only applies to plecos though. I rarely see a huge oscar, but I've seen that Wal-Mart stocks baby ones regularly!!! They have some 85 yr old lady who scoops them out for you to take home. Not a word about how, in 2 weeks, he will grow triple and eat all your goldfish. :x

If it weren't completely illegal and unethical...I think mine would enjoy living in a man-made lake here, Green Lake. Yes it's green because of perpetual algae blooms...yum! LOL...I can only imagine, some lock ness monster type stories after mammoth pleco sightings!

Sweet, lol. Greenlake is so nasty!

I'm mostly joking about eating our fish, but... A fish is a fish. An animal is an animal. It's all potential food. I just reentered the world of carnivores this summer after being a vegetarian for 8 years. In Indonesia they do eat clown loach. And pleco.. tons of people eat catfish :p I don't think I could eat the fish I raised as pets, but think about it. You'd have these very healthy, very fresh fish completely free of pollution unlike wild caught dinner, heh. My favorite food in the world is sushi :D

heh...it's so nasty because they didn't really do a lot of planning before they dug the thing...made it too shallow, which caused the perpetual algae, which they try to control with chemicals, then you throw in the resident canadian geese population...well yea. LOL

I didn't get any clown loach when I was in Indonesia...we did have some of the largest crustaceans I've ever seen (not sure if they were shrimp or what).

Sati - my vegetarian unravelling was a Dick's burger a couple years ago LOL

I really wonder about this as well, especially with plecos. When they are large they don't even eat algae anymore, so they seem to just sit there. The next time I am in my LFS (the good one) I am going to ask that very question! I rarely see the large plecos, except at Chinese restaurants in a tank with an oscar and an arowana.

Back
Top Bottom