Spawning rasboras?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kellie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to share this and ask a question. So my tank has been going fish-in not so silent cycle (I don't think my plant load was large enough for a true silent cycle) for 2 weeks, amonia under control, just waiting for nitrites to drop off now, big daily water changes until its under control, showing a rise in nitrates so I think its almost over. The inhabitants are 5 harlequin rasboras, 2 espei rasboras, and one lonely panda cory. They are all doing great, no signs of stress.

Yesterday after they "woke up" I thought one of my harlequins was not doing so well, she looked bloated and swimming upside down under the plants. I was about to freak out, and think she was dying, but then another one came up to her and they umm starting like you know, getting intimate looking! I got on google and sure enough they were doing their mating dance! Then three of the 4 other rasboras started following her around plant to plant trying to be the dude to do the deed. I was shocked to say the least that they were comfortable enough in my newer tank to do this.

My question is though, if the boys don't let her have just one of them is anything bad going to happen if she can't finish laying eggs? Her body is back to normal looking so I think she may have laid eggs, there was some stuff that kind of looked like it could be tiny eggs but it could be slime from my new mopani wood too or air bubbles under the leaves. I have no interest in setting up a breeding tank and figure the cycle of life will just have the eggs/fry eaten. I'm just worried that the interuption of her trying to be with just one dude could be bad for her. The situation was hilarious to watch, the one harlequin (I'm assuming it must be another female) and the espeis were swimming together as far away from the action as possible I could almost hear them thinking "We staying out of this!" and the cory was just swimming around doing his cory stuff oblivious to what was happening although he does join in with synchronized swimming with the rasboras from time to time.

Thanks!

This is kind of normal and really nothing to worry about. I have Threadfin Rainbow fish that spawn in thier tank off and on. It won't affect anything and who knows if any are good eggs and would hatch you might get a baby or two if there are enough hiding places. But chances are newly hatched fry will be a snack. My threadfins eggs are almost instantly gobbled up by my yo-yo loaches. Oh yeah, its normal for males to compete and it isn't hurting her in any way.

Thank you so much, you've been such a huge help with all my silly questions. Watching it reminded me of a cat in heat with a bunch of toms running after her :)

Back
Top Bottom