Stocking a 16 Widescreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys! I guess I should do an update on everything that's in there now.....

Filter: Aqueon PowerFlow 10 (I know, too small but that's what came with it and it works fine for me)
Heater: A small 50 watt heater that came with it along with a bigger one that I don't know what's it called though. Keep the temp stable though (85-86 degrees)
Lights: Just the standard LED that cam with the tank. They are pretty bright and work fine for growing plants
Ferts: Just some API Co2 Booster. Works fine for me
Co2 Injection: Currently working on DIY Co2 system for this tank. I keep the yeast bottle under the tank and the tube has to reach all the way up the wall and into the tank (the tan is pretty tall, 16" I think) so maybe the Co2 isn't building up enough pressure to push it that far. Thinking about a pressurized system. Something to wish for my birthday...........

ok finally fish and plants:

Plants: Cryptocroyne Wendtii. Green and some other kind of crypt
Amazon Sword
Java moss (of course)
some bulbs
Java fern
Blyxa Japonica
Hornwort
Anacharis
Anubias Nana

Ok that's it for all the plants I can think of off the top of my head. Don't have many fish. just a GBR and a surviving cory from the unknown parasite epidemic. Oh yeah and 3 Amano shrimp. Keep the tank clean of algae, never seen any in there except BBA before I put the shrimp in. More pics later this morning.

How do you get your amazon sword so good looking? Like no holes and no discolored spots.

I use API root tabs and API co2 Booster. That's it. It is constantly growing new leaves, maybe 2 a week. I guess I'm just doing something right :)

Water change this evening. It's been a while; maybe 2 weeks ago was the last one? I've been so caught up with the Co2 and my nano tank that I've forgotten. fish are still fine though. I'd like to see how long I could go without a PWC, it would be interesting to see how much the plants absorb and how much they filter the water. Not with a GBR though, maybe once it is a complete shrimp tank. That's what I'm planning on doing with this tank so I can make some money from selling those shrimp. Ok one question though: Anyone know any cheap pressurized Co2 systems that are of good quality? Looked at some Fluval ones but I'm not gonna pay $15 for 3 Co2 cartridges.

Stick with DIY CO2 until you can save up for a AquaTek or Milwaukee regulator and paintball tank setup ($150-$200). DIY should be fine in that tank. Worked well in my 20L for a year until I jacked up the lighting. First thing I would do is check for leaks. Mine ran through about 6-8' of tubing with no issue. I can't remember if I gave away my old DIY CO2 rig but perhaps I can send it your way.
The plants you have are primarily root feeders except for the hornwort, anacharis, and moss. If you get into stem plants you are going to want to use ferts for the water column. I don't really consider Excel a fertilizer; more of a carbon source since it is not providing N,P, or K.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stick with DIY CO2 until you can save up for a AquaTek or Milwaukee regulator and paintball tank setup ($150-$200). DIY should be fine in that tank. Worked well in my 20L for a year until I jacked up the lighting. First thing I would do is check for leaks. Mine ran through about 6-8' of tubing with no issue. I can't remember if I gave away my old DIY CO2 rig but perhaps I can send it your way.
The plants you have are primarily root feeders except for the hornwort, anacharis, and moss. If you get into stem plants you are going to want to use ferts for the water column. I don't really consider Excel a fertilizer; more of a carbon source since it is not providing N,P, or K.

Alright I got ya. I don't think it has any leaks because when I squeeze the bottle Co2 does come out of the diffuser. I'll make a new DIY and see if that helps. 3rd times the charm, right? At least I hope so.
Alright, off to make the Co2 unit. Hopefully it works this time (fingers crossed)

So yesterday I made a new unit and it work perfectly! Lots of Co2 coming out.
My GBR has been flashing and his colors were a bit faded yesterday. Did a PWC and he perked up a bit. He's still doing everything normally eating fine and is very active. He twitches to his side very now and then. I'm starting to think that he may be reaching old age. After all, he was probably already 6 months old when I got him and now 5 months later he's reaching the old age for a GBR. The genes are so screwed up that I'm surprised I got him to be this old. Hoping he doesn't pass though, he's a great fish.

I doubt it's "old age" they live much longer in the aquarium, but if he was in the wild he'd likely be toast by now.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I doubt it's "old age" they live much longer in the aquarium, but if he was in the wild he'd likely be toast by now.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just thinking old age because I hear from lots of people that they would be surprised if their GBR would live over 6 months. He did have gill flukes about a month ago but I treated those. I don' know what it is but I hope he survives it.

That would surprise me Ricky because I have only had it in there for one day. The hornwort I got from another member might be to blame as it came out of a pond and may have carried some sickness. Right now his colors have came back a little. My Cory cat isn't looking to great either. Just been sitting in one spot all day. Guess I should have been more careful adding plants to the tank. This is why I should get a quarantine. Definitely on my to do list.

That would surprise me Ricky because I have only had it in there for one day. The hornwort I got from another member might be to blame as it came out of a pond and may have carried some sickness. Right now his colors have came back a little. My Cory cat isn't looking to great either. Just been sitting in one spot all day. Guess I should have been more careful adding plants to the tank. This is why I should get a quarantine. Definitely on my to do list.

I doubt that the Hornwort carried in a disease (not impossible, just unlikely). You should definitely check your water parameters.

Keep in mind that GBRs *hate* sudden changes in water parameters. If you're adding too much CO2 to the tank at once, your pH will drop quickly and stress your fish. Generally speaking, I would not recommend dosing the tank with CO2 unless you've done your homework and are very confident in what you're doing.

I doubt that the Hornwort carried in a disease (not impossible, just unlikely). You should definitely check your water parameters.

Keep in mind that GBRs *hate* sudden changes in water parameters. If you're adding too much CO2 to the tank at once, your pH will drop quickly and stress your fish. Generally speaking, I would not recommend dosing the tank with CO2 unless you've done your homework and are very confident in what you're doing.

Haven't thought of this :oops: Since there was no Co2 today he has been perked up a bit more anyway. Not dosing Co2 for this tank for a while unless I can bring it back up. No more Co2, I'll see if that helps.

Overdue Update:

Tank is still doing good, plants are all still growing perfectly, fish are still healthy and shrimp are still cleaning like crazy. My GBR has made an almost complete recovery, so glad, and he is doing just fine. Started feeding him some frozen bloodworms the other day and I guess the vitamins really help because he's doing a lot better than he has in the past month or so. Took the Co2 out, don't want to risk anything else. Pics tomorrow when I'm not tired :D

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441456635.067406.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441456665.951294.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441456696.430320.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441456753.251237.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441456773.105197.jpg The Blxya japonica is really going nuts, I don't mind. Those are just some pics of the GBR, he was showing off for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom