Stocking a 16 Widescreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it is pennywort. Thanks Gillie! When I was at a swamp aquatics camp on a school trip in S.C. we learned that pennywort was slightly invasive, and it was everywhere, but we also learned that you can eat them to cure stomach aches. So any time I'm hungry, just reach into the tank and grab a quick snack :). Today's my birthday, and my mom got me an API test Kit, my lil brother got me two Marimo moss balls, and my older brother got me a sign that says "No Fishing"! My test results (Yes, I had to test out the API!) told me my water was fine. I'll list the results below. I have tons of plants, and right now I'm acclimating my fish to the tank. I think they'll be fine, seeing as my mom acclimated a beta to a 2.5 with just 2.5 gallons the day after she filled it up, and he's still alive today. I know, they're lots hardier than Cories, but mine have already lived through a cycle before, when I was a beginner. Test Results:

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: In between 0 ppm and 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: In between 5 ppm and 10 ppm

Do you guys think this is alright? Please let me know!

Nils

Added the fish, all doing fine! None are pale, full coloration, and are continuing normal feeding activity. I have a soccer tournament today, and nearby is the store Upscale Aquatics, (Check them out they specialize in all sorts of exotic cichlids, inverts and fish, freshwater and saltwater) where I'm going to pick up one more Peppered and one more Julii cat. Plants are doing good, pennywort is growing, so is Java Fern, over all everything is doing great! As for the middle dwellers, I was thinking a Bolivian Ram. I think I could do it, my water parameters are good, and don't worry I am waiting a few months before putting one Bolivian in there. Just curious, could I do more than one Bolivian? Or would that affect their tank mates and cause aggression between the two? Thanks!

Nils

Dude. . Good luck in the tournament, let's remember what happened in the last thread;) we've all given our opinion, a few times.. it's your tank, do with it what you will..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got a couple new Cory's yesterday, all are acclimated and hanging out with the others, also in the same store got a big Amazon Sword Plant, b-e-a-u-tiful plant, and a smaller, leafier plant that I didn't catch the name of......thanks Brookster, we placed second in the tournament after losing 5-2 in the finals. (I scored those 2 goals) I'm picking up some Rams from the LFS in a few months, once the water has "aged". What do you guys think? GBR or Bolivan Ram?

Nils

The API test kit always reads a little bit of ammonia from what I've heard, and mine does so I believe. You should be fine, there probably isn't really any ammonia if there is nitrate and ammonia, but no nitrite.

Thats good to know, FW. I'll keep that in mind. All plants and fish are doing well, and I'm very pleased with it so far! What do you guys think would be better, a single Male Bolivian Ram, or a pair of GBR's? I need opinions from people who have kept Cory's and GBR's together in similar sized tanks before. Also, as a top dweller, I have narrowed down the choices to either an African Butterfly Fish, Marbled Hatchets, or guppies. I probably will end up doing either a small school of hatchets, but what about guppies? I have a source who would buy them, if they did breed, but would the GBR's or Bolivian bother them at all, since I heard they are all over the tank? Or do they stay mostly at the top? Thanks!

Nils

Ok, I could do fine without the guppies or whatever else. Might just do a Male GBR.

Nils

Ok, I could do fine without the guppies or whatever else. Might just do a Male GBR.

Nils

I agree that doing one ram (Blue or Bolivian) would be best for that tank. You may run into problems with breeding rams and tankmates in a 16 gallon tank.

Alright cool, I'm going to stick with the GBR for now, as for the tank everything else is running nicely. And you wouldn't believe what I saw in the cold water stream behind my house while trout fishing today! It was either a hill stream loach, pleco speices or a loach of some sort. He was tiny, sucking a pebble a couple feet away. Couldn't catch him though, didn't have a net on hand. Just saying, this was really cold water, and it must have been released by someone upstream. OK, back to the GBR. Would he be very likely to nip the fins of my Cories, if he did in fact take part of the tank as his own?

Nils

So today I was hanging out at the lake with a few friends, and I found an awesome piece of wood. It feels pretty spongy, but it is still in one piece. I was wondering if a soak, rinse and being washed down in boiling water would make it safe for my tank? Or would there still be little critters and parasites in it? Thanks!

So today I was hanging out at the lake with a few friends, and I found an awesome piece of wood. It feels pretty spongy, but it is still in one piece. I was wondering if a soak, rinse and being washed down in boiling water would make it safe for my tank? Or would there still be little critters and parasites in it? Thanks!

Spongy wood will rot and trash the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright, thanks Brookster. Might throw it in with the Hermit Crabs after a good wash down. I have another wicked looking piece of Mopani Wood, still soaking to get tannins out, but I think I'm close. One of my Cory's is acting up and I don't know if he's sick or something else. He'll go up to the surface, get some air, like I see the others do sometimes, it helps with their digestive tract, but he'll just float down to the bottom, head facing up, tail down, and stomach towards me at the front of the tank. Then he'll swim up again until he makes it perfectly straight to the bottom. Do you guys think he is sick or just playing? He's pretty young, probably 3 years old, Peppered Cory, and had him since the beginning. Had some swim bladder problems before though, nut he recovered. Thanks!

Nils

Who wants to help me design the tank? I have found that my tank could look a lot better than it does right now. I just can't seem to find a good look. I am looking for something nice, where the fish all have fun, can hide and it has a very natural look.

Plants:

Amazon Sword (x1)

Two Small bushy plants, very leafy

TONS of Java Moss

a small mat that kind of looks like a straw mat (currently as a lean-to hideout for the fish)

Anubias Nana

Pennywort, a few stems

A leafy plant, reaches up halfway to the top

A Lava Rock, and two Marimo Moss balls

That's it! I'm planning on putting in a piece of driftwood soon, a pretty big piece, so if you guys could incorporate that in there too that would be nice. I could go out and get more plants if that would fit with the design if you guys think I should. Please help me

Nils

A little bit overdue for an update

Ok so I'm a little overdue on an update. Just kidding I'm WAY overdue lol. The tank has come a far way since the last time I posted; that was when I was clueless and barely had any idea what I was doing. I have learned much more now though so here are just some pictures of my GBR. More pics tomorrow when my eyes feel like working again lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom