The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hah, o yea, this guy is acting normal now, getting together with the other two, don't know what was up with him, he was acting like a pleco

Switch over to sand your tank will benefit and so will your Cory's

image-2719435204.jpg

I did last night best discussion ever . Looks good tank was a mess was trying to Lower my ph with aeration

Yea, I got the light, just need to put it on
Done with all decor and plants
Just need the carpet floor

It really wasn't I spent 10 dollars And 40 minutes rinsing it . About an hour moving my fish to a bucket and removing everything from the tank and the put the sand in 50% original water 50%tap acclimated my fish put decorations back in and I was done.

I spend an hour searching for fry in the gravel as I took it out but without that it only took about 2 hours and i love it.

I was told to put poly fill in the filter because the water would be cloudy I did and didn't even need it . Crystal clear and my tank looks brighter too!

It really wasn't I spent 10 dollars And 40 minutes rinsing it . About an hour moving my fish to a bucket and removing everything from the tank and the put the sand in 50% original water 50%tap acclimated my fish put decorations back in and I was done.

I spend an hour searching for fry in the gravel as I took it out but without that it only took about 2 hours and i love it.

I was told to put poly fill in the filter because the water would be cloudy I did and didn't even need it . Crystal clear and my tank looks brighter too!

yes, you're correct except the fact that he's trying to start a planted tank. sand is inert without much nutrients for plant growth. unless you're dosing fertilizers or have some additional layer of nutrient rich substrate underneath the sand.

i do find sand harder to maintain but easier on the eye. it's a double edge sword if you ask me.

yes, you're correct except the fact that he's trying to start a planted tank. sand is inert without much nutrients for plant growth. unless you're dosing fertilizers or have some additional layer of nutrient rich substrate underneath the sand.

i do find sand harder to maintain but easier on the eye. it's a double edge sword if you ask me.

I feel like sand is easier than gravel for non planted tanks but you could divide some areas with dirt or something .

Both standard aquarium gravel and sand don't do anything for adding or holding in nutrients for plants so on that level it doesn't matter. Sand is easier for plants to push their roots through and some gravel depending on the size and shape can actually damage and impede root growth. Sand is much cleaner than gravel, though you are able to see the detritus more with sand this also allows to to better remove it. It's mostly a preference thing when you're talking about the normal type substrates, but IMO sand > gravel in most arguments.

Hmmmm, I like that idea, I would have to take out the gravel and water and put in that flora ax huh, or should I just take out the gravel and just put in the flora max?

Hmmmm, I like that idea, I would have to take out the gravel and water and put in that flora ax huh, or should I just take out the gravel and just put in the flora max?

I actually just bought a bag of this for a project with emersed growth, I'm surprised how much I like it. I don't know if it stands up well to things like Eco complete but seems to be a good choice for plants so far to me. And it looks pretty good too, like medium/large grain sand

Attachments

• image-1601202693.jpg
    image-1601202693.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 59
Hmm, so if I just put that without sand or gravel, it will look nice, help my plants, and not harm my fish?

Hmm, so if I just put that without sand or gravel, it will look nice, help my plants, and not harm my fish?

Yes, your Cory's shouldn't have a problem with it and will help your plants. Don't forget though, just because you have a good plant substrate doesn't mean you won't need fertilizers and good lighting

Yea, I'm putting in good lighting, as well as root tabs and liquid co2
How do I put this in? Do I have to take all the fish out, deco, water, and then take all the gravel off and put the substrate, refill, do I do all that?

Yea, I'm putting in good lighting, as well as root tabs and liquid co2
How do I put this in? Do I have to take all the fish out, deco, water, and then take all the gravel off and put the substrate, refill, do I do all that?

put the root tabs underneath the root feeders, such as the amazon swords you got. if it's convenient for you, you can take everything out to do so, if not just make sure the root tabs don't get dug up by your fish. Dose liquid co2 as instructed. it's not necessary to take out the decors. there's alot of debate on this subject, but it's recommended that you take out the carbon filter cartilage you have from your filter because it actually absorbs some of the liquid carbon if not all, thus wasting your money.

What are root feeders?
So I just take the fish and water out?
So if I take out the carbon filter, then why would I need a filter?

What are root feeders?
So I just take the fish and water out?
So if I take out the carbon filter, then why would I need a filter?

1. root feeders are plants, such as amazon swords, that extra the majority of their nutrient intake through their roots. that's why when you pull out an amazon sword from a well balanced tank you would be amazed by the root growth it has.

2. if your fish or decors are getting in your way before inserting the root tabs you can get them out first, but not the water. judging from your tank setup so far, you don't have to.

3. carbons in the filter are meant to absorb chemicals in the water that are bad for the fish. even if a chemical is good for your tank, the carbon will absorb it regardless. that's why when your fish is sick and you're dosing your tank with fish disease treatment you NEED to take out the carbon because it will render the chemical useless. Some people take the carbon particles out of the filter cartilage in order to achieve certain objectives, such as nutrient enriched tank. Even with the carbon particles out, you still have the mesh structure which is useful to trap the debris from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom