Treating ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I treat ich (if my fish ever get it)? I read that there are different methods, especially for different kinds of fish. So how do I treat it with tetras, platys, and danios?

I've had success with kordon rid ich in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster123: did you also raise the temp in the tank?

No, it was around 81 me thinks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do I treat ich (if my fish ever get it)? I read that there are different methods, especially for different kinds of fish. So how do I treat it with tetras, platys, and danios?

Ive dealt with ich 3 separate times (my wife use to like buying random fish and sticking them in the tank with out quarantining them first). I turn up the heat (gradually) and add API aquarium salt (not marine salt). I measure the recommended amount on the instructions and dilute it in a bottle with aquarium water. In 2 to 3 day its gone but i treat the tank for 6 days and do a water change on day 7. Repeat if necessary. Hope that helps.

Anytime I dealt with ick was with the introduction of new fish. Raising temp to mid 80s, frequent water changes always took care of it.
I don't recommend using meds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello, I just recently had ick and what i did first was put in salt, which didnt help, if you do that always take out catfish because they have no scales. So what i ended up doing is going to walmart buying ick guard its this blue liquid and puting it in my tank, then after ick it says you have to put in fungus clear which are these fiz tabs so i went out and bought that and almost half my fish had ick and ick was treated very fast with these 2 things good luck! Oh ya and crank up the temperature... I heard 84 but im not 100% sure i had mine at 82.

Whenever you have an outbreak of Ich the FIRST thing you ALWAYS have to do is take out the activated carbon. I'm surprised no one mentioned this as if you keep it in your filter it will remove all the medication that you have dosed.
I used Kordon Rid-Ich to treat my tank. It will stain your silicone sealant blue, just a heads up. Every two days I did a water change at the bottom in order to remove all of the bacteria in the gravel and then replace with fresh water. I can't remember how long it took but the fish returned to full health. You can put the activated carbon back into the filter after the fish return to full health.

Just ask if you have more questions and I'll try to answer.

Hope this helps -
Jono

I never use carbon in my filter. Can I also turn up the heat and use aquarium salt

One thing with using Malachite Green which is the active ingredient in the Kordon Rid and Plus (has it as chloride a less toxic form of Malachite Green) as it is toxic to shrimp and snails. (Or copper or formalin containing meds)

With many meds and especially highering temps you MUST increase oxygen!!!!!

Increase the aeration by adding in a air stone/air pump and or lowering the water level an inch or 2 for the HOB outflow to splash more if you can't get an air stone. For higher temps you may need to do both to be safe. High temps decrease the amount of O2 the fish can get out of the water.

Many medications should not be used with increased temperatures and can create toxic conditions. Do your research!!!

Some levels of med are safe here is a link for a study for formalin
http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=TH8920002

Last edited:
Had it 4 times in 2 years. Minn finn is amazing stiff, never lose lost a fish from minn finn or ich. Just follow the directions. I keep the pond sized at all times under the stand. Also get the medicated food from the company and use that in connection for a week it will clear up anything. I know many people don't like the stuff, I would never use anything besides it.

I never use carbon in my filter. Can I also turn up the heat and use aquarium salt

Just carefully raise the temp and do some water changes, stay away from adding stuff (salt, meds) into the tank.

Just carefully raise the temp and do some water changes, stay away from adding stuff (salt, meds) into the tank.

Aquarium salt (used as directed) actually helps, i do agree with not adding meds though.

Back
Top Bottom