Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unwanted babies

Hi all, I now know I made the mistake of buying mixed guppys (1 male, 3 females) as my first fish for my tank, now along with 6 neon's 1 Molly and a Clown Plec. They have bred a couple of times, first batch never made it but this second batch (8) seems to be surviving. I am taking the adult male back to the shop to curb the breeding for now but know that soon the babies wil grow up and prob get mixed bunch there. What can I do, I don't really want them as I will just be over run by guppys, can anyone help me out with suggestions? The shop won't take the babies back.

Thanks in advance
Sam.
Cambs, UK

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I sympathise, we bought our Molly pregnant! My local pet shop (im in UK as well) said they would take them back if they had space - is there another petshop you can try at all? Or failing that try offering them on your local freecycle or feegle website. The problem with livebearers is that they can stay fertilised for up to 3 months - so even if you move the male out now you may get more babies soon! Try and see if you can get some mates into fish keeping
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is your tank? If it is big enough you can get a population controller like an angelfish or gourami.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank is a 90 litre (20 gallon) I took the male back and they said if I have real trouble getting rid of them they would see what they can do. I don't really want an Angle Fish, but could a Gourami work? I think they might be past the being eaten stage.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's too late to curb the breeding by moving out the male. The females will store sperm and continue to produce fry for some time.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
It's too late to curb the breeding by moving out the male. The females will store sperm and continue to produce fry for some time.
Yeah I have been told that as well, gonna just have to get something to eat them or get rid of them myself, not the best situation do in but I don't know what else to do
Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Akysis catfish aren't too common, but they would be a good solution for extra guppy fry. Too small to eat much else, fine alone or in groups, and generally easy to get along with.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Akysis catfish aren't too common, but they would be a good solution for extra guppy fry. Too small to eat much else, fine alone or in groups, and generally easy to get along with.
I have a Clown Pleco, would he eat them?
I have emailed and going to call another shop near me to see if they will take them in.
Might put another post up somewhere hear to see if anyone lives near me and would want them.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clown pleco's won't bother fry of any kind.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

There's always someone that will be willing to take any fish you may not want off of your hands. Just let natural. Selection take its course and if some fry make it to adulthood then try to rehome them.. if not they go great mixed in with a tuna casserole.. kidding.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
You can always sell them on your local craigslist. Or go to your lfs and see if they will take them for store credit. Separate the male now, and deal with the females, or get rid of the females by selling them.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

A Fish shop I went to Saturday said they would take the adults into there quarantine tanks, so I can get rid of the 3 female Guppys, then hopefully replace them with some fish that are better suited for population control we'll all it and hopefully they will help to sort things out!.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just an update on my baby guppy's, the care home my Grandmother lives at have a fish tank so we asked if they would like to have them and they were more than happy, so yesterday I bagged them up and they were successfully put into their new home. I still have a couple in my tank but that's a lot better than 15+
So now when I go to visit my Grandmother I can go an see how the little dudes are doing.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by samt1
Just an update on my baby guppy's, the care home my Grandmother lives at have a fish tank so we asked if they would like to have them and they were more than happy, so yesterday I bagged them up and they were successfully put into their new home. I still have a couple in my tank but that's a lot better than 15+
So now when I go to visit my Grandmother I can go an see how the little dudes are doing.
That's really cool. Keeps them in the family

Tags
babies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com