Unwanted babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I now know I made the mistake of buying mixed guppys (1 male, 3 females) as my first fish for my tank, now along with 6 neon's 1 Molly and a Clown Plec. They have bred a couple of times, first batch never made it but this second batch (8) seems to be surviving. I am taking the adult male back to the shop to curb the breeding for now but know that soon the babies wil grow up and prob get mixed bunch there. What can I do, I don't really want them as I will just be over run by guppys, can anyone help me out with suggestions? The shop won't take the babies back.

Thanks in advance
Sam.
Cambs, UK

I sympathise, we bought our Molly pregnant! My local pet shop (im in UK as well) said they would take them back if they had space - is there another petshop you can try at all? Or failing that try offering them on your local freecycle or feegle website. The problem with livebearers is that they can stay fertilised for up to 3 months - so even if you move the male out now you may get more babies soon! Try and see if you can get some mates into fish keeping :D

How big is your tank? If it is big enough you can get a population controller like an angelfish or gourami.

My tank is a 90 litre (20 gallon) I took the male back and they said if I have real trouble getting rid of them they would see what they can do. I don't really want an Angle Fish, but could a Gourami work? I think they might be past the being eaten stage.

It's too late to curb the breeding by moving out the male. The females will store sperm and continue to produce fry for some time.

It's too late to curb the breeding by moving out the male. The females will store sperm and continue to produce fry for some time.

Yeah I have been told that as well, gonna just have to get something to eat them or get rid of them myself, not the best situation do in but I don't know what else to do :(

Akysis catfish aren't too common, but they would be a good solution for extra guppy fry. Too small to eat much else, fine alone or in groups, and generally easy to get along with.

Akysis catfish aren't too common, but they would be a good solution for extra guppy fry. Too small to eat much else, fine alone or in groups, and generally easy to get along with.

I have a Clown Pleco, would he eat them?
I have emailed and going to call another shop near me to see if they will take them in.
Might put another post up somewhere hear to see if anyone lives near me and would want them.

There's always someone that will be willing to take any fish you may not want off of your hands. Just let natural. Selection take its course and if some fry make it to adulthood then try to rehome them.. if not they go great mixed in with a tuna casserole.. :p kidding.

You can always sell them on your local craigslist. Or go to your lfs and see if they will take them for store credit. Separate the male now, and deal with the females, or get rid of the females by selling them.

A Fish shop I went to Saturday said they would take the adults into there quarantine tanks, so I can get rid of the 3 female Guppys, then hopefully replace them with some fish that are better suited for population control we'll all it and hopefully they will help to sort things out!.

Just an update on my baby guppy's, the care home my Grandmother lives at have a fish tank so we asked if they would like to have them and they were more than happy, so yesterday I bagged them up and they were successfully put into their new home. I still have a couple in my tank but that's a lot better than 15+ :)
So now when I go to visit my Grandmother I can go an see how the little dudes are doing.

samt1 said:
Just an update on my baby guppy's, the care home my Grandmother lives at have a fish tank so we asked if they would like to have them and they were more than happy, so yesterday I bagged them up and they were successfully put into their new home. I still have a couple in my tank but that's a lot better than 15+ :)
So now when I go to visit my Grandmother I can go an see how the little dudes are doing.

That's really cool. Keeps them in the family

Back
Top Bottom