UV Filter use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does one use a UV filter?

Do you need to purchase a pump with the UV filter? Are there instructions somewhere?

It depends on what filter you get. Some are in-line, in that you need to plumb them into the outflow of your canister filter, or you can get HOB models that you use just temporarily, "as needed," and these do require a pump. Some of the HOB models come with a pump, some don't so you need to research the model you are looking at.

My advice is to get the largest one you can afford, and get one with a lens "wiper" so you don't have to crack the thing open and clean the lens (major pain). There is no way to overdose UV, so if you have a higher wattage one than perhaps you need for your tank you can still use it later if you get a bigger tank. They are an investment so it pays to do your research.

Look at Drs. Foster and Smith, and other online retailers and see what they have, then look up the specs for the model you have your eye on.

Here is an article from our library about them: http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=39

Reading the article is what got me interested in them. I seem to be having trouble finding a hob model with pump setup.

I bought UV filter about 3 months ago after long and unsuccessful fight with "green water". Since then, I forgot how green water looks like. UV is also praised for killing some harmful bacteria, though it is hard to measure.
I use Gamma filter that I bought on eBay. They are much cheaper than any other UV filters on market and come with water pump. However, the quality is not the best and it does leak. But, since I setup the filter at the top of the tank, I don't care about leaking because the water goes back to the tank.

Thanks tankgirl and newhobbist.

Looks like none of them have self contained filter + pump preplumbed type of thing.

I want a UV filter, but I have an Eclipse system with integrated filter that is not a canister type so simply putting it inline isn't feasible as I have nothing with tubes.

Do you all have any ideas for adding a pump and mounting the UV filter without messing up my "stock" look? I have my aquarium sitting on top of a aquarium cabinet. The cabinet has a special drawer I can hide filters, pumps, etc in, but it is about 5 feet from top of tank to where the bottom of the drawer is. If I were to put the pump and UV filter in there what kind of pump would I need to handle that kind of backflow?

Or I guess my other option would be to get a submerged pump and a HOB sterlizer, but mounting it may be kind of hard.

I bought a UV filter a while back. It's unbranded, so don't ask me who made it. But, my LFS keeps a healthy stock of it. The advantage of it is that it's self-contained. It's basically a powerhead with a UV filter attached to it. So, you don't have to worry about buying a Powerhead plus the UV unit. The other advantage also is that it is cheap. I got mine for $75CAD plus taxes (50gal unit). The disadvantages I find is that 1) Everything fits inside your tank (no biggie for me) 2) No name=hard to find replacement lamps and 3) haven't taken it apart yet, but I'm sure cleaning it would be a pain. But, it does work. :)

mrzap said:
Thanks tankgirl and newhobbist.

Looks like none of them have self contained filter + pump preplumbed type of thing.

I want a UV filter, but I have an Eclipse system with integrated filter that is not a canister type so simply putting it inline isn't feasible as I have nothing with tubes.

Do you all have any ideas for adding a pump and mounting the UV filter without messing up my "stock" look? I have my aquarium sitting on top of a aquarium cabinet. The cabinet has a special drawer I can hide filters, pumps, etc in, but it is about 5 feet from top of tank to where the bottom of the drawer is. If I were to put the pump and UV filter in there what kind of pump would I need to handle that kind of backflow?

Or I guess my other option would be to get a submerged pump and a HOB sterlizer, but mounting it may be kind of hard.

Back
Top Bottom