Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bazz56

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
25%Water change How to warm up the water b4 putting in the tank.

Thanks.my nitrite is still 05-1.5 what else can I do

Put some of the new water into a container, like a glass gallon jar, and place a thermometer in it (I bought the very affordable JW Pet Company Smarttemp thermometers for everything around here - non-electric, magnet holds it, works great for years).

Compare that temp to what's inside the tank. If too cold, pour a bit of the new water into a pan and heat it (some would use a microwave - conflicting opinions on this, it's a personal choice).

Pour that warmed water back into the gallon and wait a few minutes to see if it gets within a couple degrees of your desired temp. If no, repeat. If yes, change water.

Could you give some more detail on what the issue is? More details on the tank. How old is it? How big is it? What fish do you have? What are the water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) What problem do you want addressing?

You seem to have gone from not knowing how to temperature match new water to having high nitrite.

If you arent cycled you need to change water to bring nitrite down.

How about if I buy extra heater to put in the bucket

The heater in the bucket will take awhile...hours? A day? Depends on how big the bucket is and how big your tank is. Heating 1/2--1 cup of water takes about 5 minutes. Your choice, depending on how fast you need it vs how busy you are at the time.

[Is there a reason you cant just mix hot and cold water from the tap?]

When I first started out I was taught to run tap water through a filter, like Brita, and let it sit for 24 hours. I thought this was how everyone was *supposed* to do it. Then one day I got the city's breakdown of water quality and the additives they use to make our water *safe*. Chlorine was number one on the list but was followed by a long string of other chems.

That's when I realized my friend was doing what he personally thought was right in this location. He has a Brita on his faucet. I use the pitcher, which is time intensive but I have a series of smaller (20g and down) tanks and I actually enjoy the ritual of water changing, pruning plants, checking on every little thing. I still trust his judgement on the water here. I'm guessing you have great water quality where you are, Aiken Drum!

[Is there a reason you cant just mix hot and cold water from the tap?]

When I first started out I was taught to run tap water through a filter, like Brita, and let it sit for 24 hours. I thought this was how everyone was *supposed* to do it. Then one day I got the city's breakdown of water quality and the additives they use to make our water *safe*. Chlorine was number one on the list but was followed by a long string of other chems.

That's when I realized my friend was doing what he personally thought was right in this location. He has a Brita on his faucet. I use the pitcher, which is time intensive but I have a series of smaller (20g and down) tanks and I actually enjoy the ritual of water changing, pruning plants, checking on every little thing. I still trust his judgement on the water here. I'm guessing you have great water quality where you are, Aiken Drum!
Im asking the OP if there is a reason they cant use mixed tap water. There is no need to over complicate things for no reason. The vast majority of people keep fish just fine using tap water treated with water conditioner. If there is a reason to not do this it would be useful to know. Hence the question.

Iam in essex uk
You should be OK mixing hot and cold from the tap. Water here in UK is generally OK. Most, if not all, UK water companies test water monthly and you can get a copy of your local water report online with just your postcode. Our water has some nitrate in it, but not enough that i cant use tap water and i just mix hot and cold to the tank temperature before adding it to the tank with water conditioner.

50%water change and nitrite still high ammonia is ok ph ok

Then leave it an hour or so and do another 50% water change. If its still high, tomorrow another 2 x 50% water changes. If you arent cycled you might be doing daily water changes for a while until your cycle starts to establish.

Seachem prime is a water conditioner. It makes a claim to temporarily detoxify nitrite. This claim is backed up by virtually nothing. Their own website openly admits that they have no evidence beyond anecdotal that it does this and they have no idea how it works if it does. Detoxifying nitrite wasnt something it originally claimed, and they only added it after people said they thought it helped with nitrite.

While it may detoxify nitrite i wouldnt rely on it solely. The only surefire way to remove nitrite is through water changes. By all means dose prime as a back up, i use prime as a water conditioner, but water changes is the better way to go.

t5MLOJw.jpeg

Its up to you of course. But there is too much vagueness in there for me to trust the lives of fish to it when i can just change the water and be sure.

Back
Top Bottom