What should I look for when buying a 50+ gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello
this is a thread not only for mae but also for whoever else has issues/questions/comments when upgrading or getting a large aquarium.

I was looking into a 55 gallon set-up and I posted a thread a couple months ago regarding whether to get an aqueon aquarium kit. you guys said not to get it unless I was sure that the filter/light/heater was appropriate for the tank size. Some of you also told me to try and get a discount by bundling equipment w/ the tank.

Now comes the very important question: What type of filter/light/heater should i look for to bundle up with a tank, and how do i know if their giving me the low quality equipement when i bundle? Also, what other equipment would you recomend, such as any water conditioner, recomending fish-in or fishless cycling for a tank this size, ect., ect.

thanx for your suport, and please no melicious comments. :fish1:

It would depend on what (if any) kind of live plants you want and your fish stock.

you always want more filtration, the kits give you a filter that has a 55g compacity. for a 55, I would suggest you go on Amazon.com and order an aqua clear 110. AZ for lighting it depends if you want live plants
do you have any idea on what type of fish you want to stock? knowing this will really help us, help you
-do you want sand or gravel substrate?
- if money is not as much of an issue I would suggest a canister filer over everything. you will get better water circulation
-heaters: aqueon pro is great. if I were you, spring for a 300watt ... overall just make sure you get a fully submersible, witch is different than just submersible ...

- if possible try buy these things on Amazon.com. so much cheaper!

rreekers said:
you always want more filtration, the kits give you a filter that has a 55g compacity. for a 55, I would suggest you go on Amazon.com and order an aqua clear 110. AZ for lighting it depends if you want live plants
do you have any idea on what type of fish you want to stock? knowing this will really help us, help you
-do you want sand or gravel substrate?
- if money is not as much of an issue I would suggest a canister filer over everything. you will get better water circulation
-heaters: aqueon pro is great. if I were you, spring for a 300watt ... overall just make sure you get a fully submersible, witch is different than just submersible ...

- if possible try buy these things on Amazon.com. so much cheaper!

I'm a Pleco and swordtails waht filter model I'm not ordering online for the equipment

I agree with the light statement; You want to decide if you want plants or not. I recomend a cannister filter; they maintain the BB's more effectively.
As far as water conditioner: the brand Prime is all you need.
Amazon is a wonderfully cheap way to go.

akagochi said:
I agree with the light statement; You want to decide if you want plants or not. I recomend a cannister filter; they maintain the BB's more effectively.
As far as water conditioner: the brand Prime is all you need.
Amazon is a wonderfully cheap way to go.

I want plants

ok then. For my tank I use 2 T5 HO bulbs, in a coral life hood. Research the type of plants you want first before deciding to buy your lights. The T5 HO bulbs will give you a lot of flexibility. If you are doing plants you also want to think about substrate. I recommend a sand or smaller grained gravel. Some folks will tell you to go dirt, but that may be something you want to wait to do on your next planted tank after you gain some more experience, but that's just IMO.

akagochi said:
ok then. For my tank I use 2 T5 HO bulbs, in a coral life hood. Research the type of plants you want first before deciding to buy your lights. The T5 HO bulbs will give you a lot of flexibility. If you are doing plants you also want to think about substrate. I recommend a sand or smaller grained gravel. Some folks will tell you to go dirt, but that may be something you want to wait to do on your next planted tank after you gain some more experience, but that's just IMO.

Ok I might go with something like elodea but I'm not sure. Idk what the other plant is called though. So for a filter could I get one that hangs off the side of the tank, I don't care if I need two for adiquit filtration

yes, you can get one that hangs over the back. look for one that has a filtration rate of at least 500gph (that is a minimum) you want 10x filtration rate of the # of gallons your tank is. like i suggested before the aqua clear is liked by many fish keepers because you can keep many kinds of media inside of it, like a canister filter.

rreekers said:
yes, you can get one that hangs over the back. look for one that has a filtration rate of at least 500gph (that is a minimum) you want 10x filtration rate of the # of gallons your tank is. like i suggested before the aqua clear is liked by many fish keepers because you can keep many kinds of media inside of it, like a canister filter.

Ok. If I needed I could run two filters. Do u know of reliable brands? Or of bundling?

in regards to HOBs, I've heard aqua clears are great ( they work like a canister) I just ordered a 70 for my 30g goldfish tank today... but considering what you said you were interested in as far as stock, I think a 110 would be sufficient for you tank at 500gph. Umm. but overall for HOBs, I feel like you get what you pay for. avoid tetras and whispers .. also I have an aqueon quiet flow.. I would not recommend it to anyone. you want to look for something that has a long enough inlet tube that it will sit a few inches above your substrate ( I take them out of the box at the store prior to purchase, make sure all.the parts are there and put it up to a display tank or tank thats for sale to see how long it will be. ones with Bio wheels are good until the wheel doesn't spin any more. I think they all have their pros and cons.
just remember to look at the rate per hour.. not what size tank it is recommended for

- hope these rambled thoughts help :)

Back
Top Bottom