white fungus or algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munger22391

Aquarium Advice Regular
This weird white/clear stuff started appearing on the glass recently and on one of my plastic plants and im not sure what it could be. The tank has been estsblished for over a year and nothing new has been added for a couple months. Nitrate and nitrite is both at zero, ammonia is <0.02 ppm and PH is at 7.6

Its a 55g with 8 african cichlids, 2 senegal bichirs and one reedfish and has 2 HOB filters (whisper 30-60 and aqua tech 39-60)

It was hard trying to get a good picture of it but I took a few to see if it would help

ForumRunner_20131010_124629.jpg

ForumRunner_20131010_124645.jpg

ForumRunner_20131010_124659.jpg

I can see a white blob thing on the glass in the last picture. Does it appear similar to a spider web? This may sound like an odd question, but do you notice it moving (even slightly) to different areas on the glass (overnight or over a few days)? If so, I can provide some more info on what it is. If not, can you possibly post a clearer pic to help identify what is going on?

I can't see anything in any of the pictures.... So ya a better picture would be nice. In the last photo I just saw it, it does sorta resemble a spider web don't it? That would interesting if it actually turned out to be one! But now to the technical side, I've never seen mold {or algae} do that so it probably will turn out to be something weird like that

I will try and get a better picture right now ive been doing water changes every day and scrubbing it off but it comes right back. It kind of is like a spider web and moves around from the current in the water. But i will take some pictures quick with a better camera and even try and post a video

here is a video its to hard to get a good picture of it and the video does more justice anyway so you can see how it moves and everything. hopefully its not something bad and I can get rid of it easily. and ive been checking the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels every day and they are perfect I even bought a little thing I hang in the tank that reads the ammonia levels at all times so I know if it starts to go up

also not sure if the video I uploaded is working so here is a link to it on youtube as well

white algea/fungus? - YouTube

Hm looks sorta like a bacterial bloom of some sort. I'd remove it

yea I'm doing daily water changes and suck up as much of it as I can when I do. I just dont understand how it just appeared since nothing new has been added to the tank in over 2 months and the tank has been established without any problems for about a year and a half now

also just noticed that there is white fungus stuff growing on one of my filters so I cleaned the the filter media where the fungus stuff was with hot hot water and made sure it was all off (the filter media on my other filter didnt have any so I left those) and then changed out the filters and added some carbon. also did a water change and sucked up a lot of the stuff so hopefully this will help.

but if anyone knows anything else about what it could be let me know this was my first actual tank and I want to get it healthy again

It looks like some type of algae in your last video. What are your parameters? Lighting schedule and type of lights?

my parameters are 0 nitrate 0 nitrite <.02 ammonia and PH is at 7.8 lighting schedule is from noon to 10pm and the lights are 8,000k aquareon lights that come with the hood

also Im not sure if the white mold looking stuff on the filters is just dead BB or something to worry about it is also on the filter in my 10g tank with my yellow lab fry in it

Back
Top Bottom