Zach's 46g Bowfront Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey! This is so cool, because you have a tank identical to mine. A couple bits of advice I can give you. First, be patient. Take your time with everything and don't rush. Second, always remember, what works for one person won't necessarily work for you. Don't be afraid to try something just because it didn't work for someone else. Welcome to Tue awesome world of aquatic Addiction, and have fun! I'll post a pic of my modest tank.

IMO that's a cruel way of doing it. Your fish will most likely suffer and some may die, if you really care about your fish you should buy a test kit. It's the only way of ensuring that your water is suitable.

In the end it's your decision I guess. I cycled my first tank like that and less than 2 years latter all of the fish but four of the twelve are dead. They should still all be alive,

IMO that's a cruel way of doing it. Your fish will most likely suffer and some may die, if you really care about your fish you should buy a test kit. It's the only way of ensuring that your water is suitable.

In the end it's your decision I guess. I cycled my first tank like that and less than 2 years latter all of the fish but four of the twelve are dead. They should still all be alive,

Really it's not my choice it's my dads...

46g Aquarium Tank Ideas
Demensions
36x16x20

•2 Angelfish
•1 Festivum
•1 Discus
•1 Black Ghost Knifefish (put in last when others are bigger)
Baby tears
Swords
Crypts
Lilly's
Anubis
Val's

I am 85% sure this is overstocked but how much and what problems will this cause? What problems are there with the stock in general?
I have Eco-complete soil and I will post my lighting in the morning problably...

When I got it home

Dw

3 small Amazon swords

Bulbs for fun :)
(By the way which is which?)

Background on

Some Corkscrew Val's in:) swords together

I think with your lighting you could only get some swords, vals, crypts, and anubias. However I would confirm that with someone more knowledgeable like river cats. My planted tank is a mess right now and I don't really trust myself when it comes to plants.

I'm young not stupid,
Cleans up and stops parasites and bacterial blooms,I think I'll get the 9w green killing machine

Yes it kills floating algae spores. IMO you're much better off investing in a test kit then a uv sterilizer. The test kit will allow you to verify that everything is right. The uv sterilizer if the aquarium is properly maintained does nothing needed.

Like put the (declorhernated) water in,wait 3 days put a fish in,wait a week put another fish in,wait 2 weeks put another fish in,wait a week and if there all alive he says its cycled...(I know this is bad but he won't let me pay for a test kit and I just started getting him to let me get my water tested at pet stores so now I go by that)

A lot of people don't agree but IMO it's better than starring at an empty tank. This is the way my mom and pop store told me to do it and the way I've always done it. Again if you don't agree don't do it we all have different opinions and methods of ways to do things.

First add dechlorinator to your water run the filter for three days. I did this in a 54g tank so I added 6 tiger barbs they are perfectly suited to survive the cycle. Wait for about a month. If you don't want to keep them take them out replace with what fish you do want and done. Also I never did a water change unless it really needed one during the cycle.

Some people call it cruel. I disagree. Now, if you fill the tank, and load it with fish right away, that's different. Look, all of these methods work. All of them have the same ending. It's up to you to decide what to do. As far as the uv sterilizer, I agree. Total waste of money. It indiscriminately kills all bacteria floating in the tank. Don't bother.

Do you have city water or well water? Before you add the dechlorinator, decide if you need it. Another suggestion, add an airstone. It will help blow the chlorine out.

•Stock•(First to last)
•1 Leopard Bushfish
•3 Yoyo loach's
•2 Angelfish
•2 Celebes Rainbow fish
•2 Boismami Rainbow fish
•1 Festivum

Does this sound good?

I have the
Bushfish,Yoyo's,angels, and Celebes already and was wondering if the other rainbow and 1 festivum could work

image-1538329470.jpg

The Celebes (1 male 1 female)

Could I still get the BGK?

•Stock•(First to last)
•1 Leopard Bushfish
•3 Yoyo loach's
•2 Angelfish
•2 Celebes Rainbow fish
•2 Boismami Rainbow fish
•1 Festivum

Does this sound good?

I have the
Bushfish,Yoyo's,angels, and Celebes already and was wondering if the other rainbow and 1 festivum could work

The Celebes (1 male 1 female)

Could I still get the BGK?

No that would be overstocked. The boesmani is too active for a tank that size anyway. Rainbows also need to be in schools of 6+ so add 4 more celebs to what you already have and youre stocked. With that much fish you will have to do large water changes every week. Also wait till the tank is cycled until you add more fish. Most of those fish are sensitive and will die if too much ammonia and nitrites are present. Did you purchase a test kit yet?

Back
Top Bottom