Are snails good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felku

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently built a planted tank and it seems the plants I bought had some snails. I don't know if it is something I should worry or not. There is a pic of some of the ones I have found

Attachments

• IMAG0792.jpg
    IMAG0792.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 96
From the pic and what I could zoom with my phone they look like pond snails. They are really not something people usually want I'm their tanks
The reproduce very rapidly via leaving egg sacks on the glass and plants. You can pick them out and dispose of them or smash them in the tank and usually fish really enjoy eating them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply, it seems most of them came from the moss I bought. But I already have taken like 5 from the tank, is quite annoying.

I have MTS, pond snails, and Rams horn snails in my planted tank. Their numbers are not overwhelming. The MTS burrow and turn over the substrate (in a good way).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your input, this is my first planted tank and everything is new for me.

From my understanding, (and im mo expert. Please correct me if im wrong) if the wastes in your tank are kept fairly low-normal levels they are usually not a problem depending on species.

If left unchecked per say while you're on vacation and levels get high it can cause a spike in their reproduction which is bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

From my understanding, (and im mo expert. Please correct me if im wrong) if the wastes in your tank are kept fairly low-normal levels they are usually not a problem depending on species.

If left unchecked per say while you're on vacation and levels get high it can cause a spike in their reproduction which is bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yes. If you overfeed for example you will have snails breeding like mad. I had a population explosion while I was away and since returning I've picked out snails but just couldn't keep up and purchased assassin snails. I like the looks of the assassins and the ramshorn and I do sell ramshorns to keep my population in check. I just can't stand the pond snails. They damage my cory eggs also so if I don't pull them asap the snails get to them and it's a bust.

From the pic and what I could zoom with my phone they look like pond snails. They are really not something people usually want I'm their tanks
The reproduce very rapidly via leaving egg sacks on the glass and plants. You can pick them out and dispose of them or smash them in the tank and usually fish really enjoy eating them.

I guess I'm ine of the few people that want PS. That might be because the tank I want them in has my breeding assassin snails, but who's keeping track lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For me it's not a bad thing because I have puffers that need to be fed. They really aren't tat bad, I have tons of ramshorns, pond and MTS in my 16 and notice nothing. I would leave them, not doing anything bad. Plus they make a good clean up crew, they always eat whatever the fish leave.

I got a few pond snails in my 10 gallon aquarium and they are reproducing like mad do what you can to get rid of them before they take over

I wouldn't have it last time I had Pond snails I thought they were cute and fun to watch. later I saw eggs. I was excited to see the baby's. I wanted to breed them but soon my tank was covered in them. it got so bad that I had to empty the whole tank, clean it, and fill it back up again. if I were you I'd remove it from you're aquarium and get a snail like a nitrate snail mystery snail or a trumpet snail. those pond snails asexually reproduce at a fast rate and each clutch of eggs has hundreds of baby snails waiting to eat aquatic plants and invade your tank.

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

Trumpet snails probably reproduce faster than pond snails. The latter might eat decaying vegetation, however, I have yet to see them eat any plants.

I have take out like 10 snails and every day I see more.

If it were me and you want the pond type snails out then get am assassin snail or two. Once you are positive the snails you don't want are gone you can possibly trade,give away, or sell your assassin. I like how they look so I may keep them around. Nerite snails are pretty but I hate the eggs they lay all over the glass - they won't hatch in fresh water but they annoy me to see them.

I keep plants and pond snails eat plants so goodby pond snails. I've been taking out every pond snail I see, daily, and I still have them. I squish them on the glass and let the Corys pick over the remains. Malayan trumpet snails in my planted tanks are my friends. Big ?thumbs up for MTS.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pond snails eats plants?

Pond snails eats plants?

Like rabbits eat carrots!! I had munched leaves on some staur repens a while ago,and I know it wasn't my tetras doing it

Like rabbits eat carrots!! I had munched leaves on some staur repens a while ago,and I know it wasn't my tetras doing it

I'm think there were other factors involved (ferts, CO2) that may have contributed to the condition of the plants you mentioned. I've had pond snails in my tank since the summer of 2014 though their numbers are plentiful but not overwhelming. In February I did a rescape and within a month the staur repens filled in without incident (pic below). I've also trimmed the crowns on over 50% of the staur patch and the pond snails did not take advantage of the hacked condition of the plants.
08UEWTa.png

Before seeing pond snails in the tank I have had older staur repens leaves develop holes and look "sheared"; it was early on in a new fert regimen and I was getting a handle on dosing.
The point I'm making is that healthy plant growth should not be affected by pond snails (from what I've observed).

Back
Top Bottom