Corys w/RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with an RCS colony, purple ramshorn, mts, and a few algae eaters. I just recently purchased a group of 5 green cories and originally put them in my main 60 gallon tank only to have them picked on by my rams. I want to take them out and add them to the RCS tank but I'm scared they will eat my baby shrimplets?? Does anyone have any experience with this? My colony is doing very well and I don't want to mess that up. Any Advice?

I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with an RCS colony, purple ramshorn, mts, and a few algae eaters. I just recently purchased a group of 5 green cories and originally put them in my main 60 gallon tank only to have them picked on by my rams. I want to take them out and add them to the RCS tank but I'm scared they will eat my baby shrimplets?? Does anyone have any experience with this? My colony is doing very well and I don't want to mess that up. Any Advice?

I would not suggest housing these two species together. As they are both scavengers, this puts them in the area of the shrimp. Also since the cories can reach much larger then even an adult rcs they would problem retreat into hiding more often. Plus the baby shrimp would certainly make a great treat for your cories.

I always tell people if you really want to see a dwarf shrimps full potential and create a great colony, have decicated shrimp only tank.

I have a 37 gallon with about 20 sterbai Cory (they keep breeding) and literally 6-700 cherry shrimp. I have never seen a shrimp be eaten. I wish they would and I wouldn't have to scoop them out so much. So in going to have to disagree on the previous statement

Thanks for the responses. I've read up on it and I'm getting the same information. Some say yes and others say no. My colony is nowhere near that big. I might have 30 if even that many right now that's why I'm scared to mess if up at this point. My oldest females are berried for the first time.

Thanks for the responses. I've read up on it and I'm getting the same information. Some say yes and others say no. My colony is nowhere near that big. I might have 30 if even that many right now that's why I'm scared to mess if up at this point. My oldest females are berried for the first time.

You have to take into account the size of the fish, shrimp, aquarium, and colony size. In the persons situation above with a larger tank, smaller cories, and a large colony the shrimp could thrive.

Your green cories can reach an inch to an inch and a half bigger then sterbai cories, and when shrimp are only an inch at adulthood, I feel those cories would feast on the babies they can find. Also having a colony of thirty I wouldn't suggest adding until that grows.

Back
Top Bottom