found snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bomber4494

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ForumRunner_20130115_184316.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_184330.jpg

Just found these snails in my tank. I can only assume they were in the plants that I bought from pet smart. Should I worry about them?

Pond snails. They can quickly over populate if you over feed.

Some people like them and keep them around.

I personally don't like them.

J

I've only seen the one so far. How would I go about ridding my tank of them?

Assain snails are the best for getting rid of unwanted snails, I had the same problem, brought 5 plants went on holiday for 2 weeks came back to about 50 snails in my tank! Chucked 6 assains in and within a few weeks all snails had been eaten :)

They are known as "nuisance snails" in the freshwater planted tank world around here- but they are awesome when you have a puffer, other than that if you keep up with maintaining your dead plant matter, pwcs and don't over feed you should be able to get rid of them naturally, or you could get an assassin snail, I've heard they work too.

You can trap them or net them out. If you see any jelly-like substance with specks in it, those are eggs. They multiply fast. Some people crush them and let their fish eat them.

Any plant from petsmart that's not a bulb or pre-packaged will have snails. Without a doubt. It's a guarantee.

Yup- though 'washing' your plants with old aquarium water and gently pinch each leaf and clean them off it greatly reduces the risk of infestation.

So far I've only seen the one. Although I'm sure there are more, I'm hoping there aren't

Back
Top Bottom