Help! Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sernalex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 snails that I bought about 3 months ago but now I'm starting to see lots of baby snails how can I kill them it lots of them

Attachments

• image-2839031282.jpg
    image-2839031282.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2507425645.jpg
    image-2507425645.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 115
It looks like you have two different kinds of snails there. The larger one is a mystery snail and the smaller looks like a MTS. The MTS are nothing to worry about. They will help clean up excess food and rotting plant matter. If the population is getting out of control cut back the amount of food your feeding.

You can toss a piece of zucchini in the tank at night and pull it out with snails on it in the morning, a lot of people don't like this one but I'll say it anyways, you can buy some assassin snails to control the population, I have assassins but I bought them as a pet before I had snails because I enjoy their colors, of course also like mumma said less feeding and snails are good for your tank in my opinion. I'm not 100% possitive that 2nd pic is a MTS, may be or it may be a pond/bladder snail. Either way pond or MTS or ramshorn they are a good clean up crew for your tanks if ya ask me.

We would need another shot of the large one, but I think it looks like a Ramshorn snail, not a mystery snail.

The types of snails you have aren't bad snails, but helpful snails. Pets even.

If you can learn to embrace them, they'll keep a well stocked and well fed tank healthy.

Looks like the first one is an apple/mystery snail and the second is MTS. The MTS probably rode in on some plants. I've had tanks with MTS in them for years where I've never removed any and the population hasn't gotten out of control. They keep the substrate clean and I love them. The snails you purchased will only reproduce if you have a male and a female. If so, they will lay an egg sack above the water line that you can remove if you don't want them to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom