Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I didn't think I would find myself asking this but I'm not surprised either...

Is it common to have salt crystallize on the bottom outside rim/glass of your tank? Mines been doing this past few days and I've just been wiping it off.

Caleb

Well I didn't think I would find myself asking this but I'm not surprised either...

Is it common to have salt crystallize on the bottom outside rim/glass of your tank? Mines been doing this past few days and I've just been wiping it off.

Caleb

Yeah, it'll gather on pretty much everything surrounding the tank.

I just wipe it off as well.

It'll do no harm knocking it back into the tank, just ensure it doesn't touch anything sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Caleb
As long as it's not actually coming out through the bottom trim piece it's nothing to worry about. It's probably from dripping water down the side of the tank. Just remember that the salt is corrosive and will rust anything in its path that is metal. Keep out clean and the salt creep won't give you any problems except for having to wipe out of sometimes more than others.

As long as it's not actually coming out through the bottom trim piece it's nothing to worry about. It's probably from dripping water down the side of the tank. Just remember that the salt is corrosive and will rust anything in its path that is metal. Keep out clean and the salt creep won't give you any problems except for having to wipe out of sometimes more than others.

Okay thanks. The stand is wooden so not much worry there. I check it like every day now because I'm scared my tank is going to deteriorate lol :D

Caleb

Well I got back from a sunny vacation and checked my levels. IM VERY CONFUSED!

I put 3 whole shrimp it to make sure I had ammonia in it before I left a week ago. I come back today and no shrimp left.

Readings:

Ammonia: 0.50ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm??? WHAT??

I'm so confused on how my nitrates went to nothing while I was gone yet still have ammonia...

Also I added another shrimp to keep the BB fed.

The API nitrate test can sometimes be tricky. A simple mistake can easily lead to a wrong test. I'd assume that or algae growth simply absorbing the nitrates if they simply aren't that high yet.

Thanks Hank i shook it pretty well but I'm going to try a retest here in a bit

Did a retest on the tank.

Ammonia: 0.25-0.50ppm can't tell the difference.

Nitrite: looks like 0ppm but not light blue yet also not as dark as 0.25ppm

Nitrate: looks like 5-10ppm I shook the stuffing out of it this time.

It looks like I'm cycled since my nitrite dropped off and have nitrates. The ammonia I'm assuming is from the shrimp I added last night to feed the BB.

Did a 50% PWC and all parameters clear.

I got the scarlet hermit and a snowflake ocellaris. IM SO EXCITED!!! They are currently drop acclimating.

Pics soon :)

Can't wait to see some pictures! I'm suddenly finding myself reading through this thread in much more detail now that someone handed me a half-complete 10 gallon reef tank :lol:

I better see a thread so I can follow it!

Well when we start getting things together we will. I still need to get an RO system and some live rock to seed the rock and sand it came with. Plus salt mix and the animals. We're probably going to wait until my fiance and I get married and move in together in the next few months, since we've got enough fish tanks we're gonna have to move as it is (5 between the two of us!).

The good news is I have 3 simultaneous multifasciatus spawns so by the time we've moved and I can start setting up the tank, I should have enough multis to trade in towards some awesome saltwater stuff.

Last edited:
Well when we start getting things together we will. I still need to get an RO system and some live rock to seed the rock and sand it came with. Plus salt mix and the animals. We're probably going to wait until my fiance and I get married and move in together in the next few months, since we've got enough fish tanks we're gonna have to move as it is (5 between the two of us!).

The good news is I have 3 simultaneous multifasciatus spawns so by the time we've moved and I can start setting up the tank, I should have enough multis to trade in towards some awesome saltwater stuff.

Once I get another tank setup I would love to buy some of the multis from you.

Clown loves exploring the tank so it's hard to get a clear picture of him.

First the hermit, he has nestled himself on top of the live rock pile and seems to be satisfied there.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433153321.507595.jpg

And the star of the show:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433153357.509055.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433153377.494360.jpg

I have some videos but YouTube is being a dinkleberry yesterday and this morning.

Back
Top Bottom