Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
molts can look like the actual shrimp
this molt of my lobster freaked me out this morn wasn't expecting it up on the rocks lol
it looks just like the live lobster , most inverts place there molts in places to fool predators and lure them away from there hiding place
60069-albums13933-picture68995.jpg

This guy could even fool even the most experienced lol

Wow lol wonder why he decided to molt way out in the open. Now that you say that mine did it right outside his cave.

Caleb

Glad you found him/her?
Mine used to load with eggs after every molt!
Be on the lookout as it is pretty cool.
No chance of ever raising or see any babies though.

I had a pair of coral banded shrimp that would breed all of the time. Pity I didn't have a quarantine to put them in so I could raise the babies. I know that they did actually have babies because I would see my blenny go into the shrimp cave then come out with a tiny arm or leg sticking out of his mouth.

I got a little bottle on my vacation and put it in my tank as sort of a memory and a piece of decor. Is a plastic bottle with shells and sand and I filled it with tank water and sealed the top with the cork. It sank right away. It says Hilton head island if you can't read it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434289052.804773.jpg

Caleb

Here's big man still in his shining glory. Getting some purple looking fuzzy stuff. Why can't it just hold up a sign telling me what it is...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434314516.677744.jpg

Caleb

Well I tested the salinity of my tank and WTF???? It's 1.029!

How?

I should probably calm down.

I haven't added any water over 1.025 how did it get this high????

How do I safely bring it back down without killing something? :(

I'm lucky I noticed before I did my water change... Should my WC water still be 1.025?

I'm sorry I get worked up and confuse myself..

Caleb

Well I tested the salinity of my tank and WTF???? It's 1.029!

How?

I should probably calm down.

I haven't added any water over 1.025 how did it get this high????

How do I safely bring it back down without killing something? :(

I'm lucky I noticed before I did my water change... Should my WC water still be 1.025?

I'm sorry I get worked up and confuse myself..

Caleb

ARE you topping off with ro/di salt water

Or are you topping off with ro/di fresh

how big is that tank before I explain how to bring salinity down

your not allowed to panic

so your using tap water , I would suggest using bottled distilled water if that's the case

siphon out about a 1/2 gal from your tank than add fresh ro/di "NO SALT"
let that run in the tank over night check again tomorrow if it's still high repeat
what I said above , just don't keep doing it all at once as it will shock everyone in the
tank, once a day no more than that , it may take a few days just be patient till you reach the desired 1.025 , when you plan on doing your water change premix your water ahead of time and check to be sure it's the same salinity if it's a little shy of 1.025 it's ok as long as it's in range between 1.021 to 1.026
small tanks are harder to keep steady parameters
bigger tanks give a little more of a buffer so parameters are easier to achieve

siphon out about a 1/2 gal from your tank than add fresh ro/di "NO SALT"
let that run in the tank over night check again tomorrow if it's still high repeat
what I said above , just don't keep doing it all at once as it will shock everyone in the
tank, once a day no more than that , it may take a few days just be patient till you reach the desired 1.025 , when you plan on doing your water change premix your water ahead of time and check to be sure it's the same salinity if it's a little shy of 1.025 it's ok as long as it's in range between 1.021 to 1.026
small tanks are harder to keep steady parameters
bigger tanks give a little more of a buffer so parameters are easier to achive

Thanks seaweed, the catch is, how did it get this high? I rechecked the calibration on my refractometer and its fine. No water at all has been added to the tank that's not fresh RODI except at water changes when I test it to be 1.025 before adding.

Caleb

since your tank is 10g when you did a water change you could have added a littile too much salt while mixing , or you could have accidentally added salt water to top off , if you have the means to mix a 5g bucket and can seal it with a lid , that would consist of 2 5g buckets 1 with a lid using a 2 cup measuring cup fill it with
the powdered salt mix be sure it's leveled off add to bucket 1 pour water from bucket 2 into bucket 1 do this 5 or 6 times till salt is mixed in to water let rest overnight shake then check salinity it should be right at 1.025 ready for your water change , and youll still have enough water for another change

1/2 gallon switch is done. Cleaned my filter since I had the chance with some spare water.

Caleb

since your tank is 10g when you did a water change you could have added a littile too much salt while mixing , or you could have accidentally added salt water to top off , if you have the means to mix a 5g bucket and can seal it with a lid , that would consist of 2 5g buckets 1 with a lid using a 2 cup measuring cup fill it with
the powdered salt mix be sure it's leveled off add to bucket 1 pour water from bucket 2 into bucket 1 do this 5 or 6 times till salt is mixed in to water let rest overnight shake then check salinity it should be right at 1.025 ready for your water change , and youll still have enough water for another change

Either I'm really dumb or just too tired to understand. Would you mind simplifying lol. All the numbers threw me off.. :confused:

Caleb

mixing a gallon at a time your salt water mix will vary in salinity ,
you'll get a more consistent mix in 5g intervals ,
if your salinity still rises when you do your next change fill your cup to the correct amount
than sprinkle a little back in to salt pail , dump remainder to be mixed in bucket and mix
it may have a lower salinity but will level out in tank , and give a more stable salinity in tank

it's hard to explain in easy terms when typing , sorry not trying to be to technical
just how this old man types

That makes more sense. I've been mixing in like 4-5g intervals and just putting like 1/2 cup salt in at a time till I hit 1.025

Caleb

That makes more sense. I've been mixing in like 4-5g intervals and just putting like 1/2 cup salt in at a time till I hit 1.025

Caleb

that's why your salinity is out of wake

2 cup mixing cup level with salt for a 5g pail
things should get easier not pulling out your hair lol

Back
Top Bottom