Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update!

Everyone is still going wonderful! My scarlet has gotten much more active since I added the other hermits.

Peppermint still hiding like a wuss but I've seen him get some food.

The Kenyi fully extended yesterday which was good.

Some shots:

Kenyi
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434732220.785966.jpg

Scarlet hermit
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434732533.408389.jpg

Zebra hermit
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434732559.866454.jpg

Clown
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434732620.755226.jpg

FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434732644.690752.jpg

Caleb

scarlet hermit's do better in groups as they tend to be more social in groups
the peppermint shrimp are more nocturnal and come out more at night
you know if you lower that heater lower to the sand bed you could hide it , I've seen some build a cage to for the heater out of egg crate than cover it with rock rubble ,
your tank is coming along ,
my coral just arrived guess I'll be busy for a bit
I'll post a pict of the cage I mentioned a little later

scarlet hermit's do better in groups as they tend to be more social in groups
the peppermint shrimp are more nocturnal and come out more at night
you know if you lower that heater lower to the sand bed you could hide it , I've seen some build a cage to for the heater out of egg crate than cover it with rock rubble ,
your tank is coming along ,
my coral just arrived guess I'll be busy for a bit

Nothing I have read said they like groups but since adding hermits I can definitely see the difference. I may get him some friends eventually.

Caleb

Nothing I have read said they like groups

it's just from personal experience I think what it is is they feel more secure in numbers

Here's a pict of the heater cage that can be covered with rubble rock this just makes a tank with out a sump look nicer as a heater can be a eye sore to some on the back wall
these are just little tips you may be interested in ,
your tank is looking good can't wait to see it in a few months
60069-albums10662-picture69005.jpg

this also will protect the heater from getting broken

it's just from personal experience I think what it is is they feel more secure in numbers

Here's a pict of the heater cage that can be covered with rubble rock this just makes a tank with out a sump look nicer as a heater can be a eye sore to some on the back wall
these are just little tips you may be interested in ,
your tank is looking good can't wait to see it in a few months
60069-albums10662-picture69005.jpg

this also will protect the heater from getting broken

That's a neat idea! I really like it if I can get some smaller rubble rock that's pre-cured. Where can I find eggcrate to make the cage?

Coming along nicely Caleb! (y)

Thanks guys! It's turning out so much better than I dreamed it would. Guess I have a better thumb for salty than I do a green thumb for plants. Oh well we will see :D

Caleb

I would THINK you could just buy large piece of LR and smash it to bits yourself. We will let the more experienced chime in on that. Egg crate is avail at almost any hardware store as "light diffuser"

Jesse

you know if you lower that heater lower to the sand bed you could hide it , I've seen some build a cage to for the heater out of egg crate than cover it with rock rubble

I think I'll have to use this idea in my tank!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Panic mode: On.

I found a worm crawling on the sand ad when I turned my lights on! Remove it? Keep it for CUC?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434907601.603977.jpg

Caleb

Sorry camera is not the best for tiny things like worms.

I'm not suppose to touch bristle worms if I remember correctly?

Caleb

Last edited:
That's a neat idea! I really like it if I can get some smaller rubble rock that's pre-cured. Where can I find eggcrate to make the cage?

Thanks guys! It's turning out so much better than I dreamed it would. Guess I have a better thumb for salty than I do a green thumb for plants. Oh well we will see :D

Caleb

the egg crate you can get at home depot in lighting section like $15. sheet
as for rubble rock reef cleaners has base rock rubble that can be used right away as it has no die off on it I got a big priority box full for $25 with free delivery had to be 20+lbs of rubble from 1/2 inch to 3 inch pieces a very nice assortment

That doesn't look like a bristle worm it's purple and yellow not pink and white like a bristle worm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Further analysis suggests bristle worm. If I find him again I'll remove him because I don't want to get stung

Caleb

Panic mode: On.

I found a worm crawling on the sand ad when I turned my lights on! Remove it? Keep it for CUC?

View attachment 274065

Caleb

Harmless bristleworm. Excellent member of a CUC. I have tons, there are different colors as well. My hands have been ask in my tank and sump and I still have never been stung. Dunno if I'm lucky or I'd out just really isn't that common. I have a buddy that has a ton of the huge red ones and they get him all the time. Just don't grab him I guess. LOL

Harmless bristleworm. Excellent member of a CUC. I have tons, there are different colors as well. My hands have been ask in my tank and sump and I still have never been stung. Dunno if I'm lucky or I'd out just really isn't that common. I have a buddy that has a ton of the huge red ones and they get him all the time. Just don't grab him I guess. LOL
^THIS^^
And where there is one likely MANY.
Watch feeding as they are "scavengers" and input to tank is best control IMO.
I have many in all tanks I think(a couple for sure,I don't look cause they are not an issue unless infesting).

Back
Top Bottom