Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to determine if my 30 gallon tank is ready to intro fish. I've read a lot of posts and recieved some excellent advice during a damsel fish problem a few weeks ago.

Quick history: Tank has been up and for about 6-7 weeks. week 2 I added 3 damsel fish, all of whom died at different times over a 1 week period. Took this forum's advice and went fishless method of cycling and added a raw shrimp. Over the next few weeks ammonia levels did rise to a little over 0.2. Now Ammonia is down to 0 as are Nitrite and Nitrate Ph is 8.2. But I never saw a rise in Nitrite or Nitrate. I did not test the water every day, so I guess I might have missed the nitrite spikes--is that possible?

My plan now is to do a 25% water change and wait a few more days and if every thing is still 0 add two clownfish. Thoughts?

I should add that I do have some algae growth and have just recently noticed a wispy red algae on the bottom.

But I never saw a rise in Nitrite or Nitrate. I did not test the water every day, so I guess I might have missed the nitrite spikes--is that possible?

Hmm, I would say if you have live rock in your system or live sand, it is possible that you missed the nitrite spike. I think your 25% change sounds fine as well as the clowns, I'd get them small.

Thanks. I have about 15 lbs of live rock in the tank.

On the clownfish, if I get them small, am I relatively safe getting two? I've heard that to adults might fight, but two small ones may be okay together.

Also, does anyone on these boards have an opinion on tank raised vrs caught? Especially with clownfish, where there is a lot more tank raised now.

Thanks. I've read that it's okay to get 2 clownfish that are not a mated pair if they are young. Correct or misinformation??

Also, I seem to be getting a lot of deep red, wispy algea growing on the bottom. I kinda mixed the CC base around a bit which got rid of it for a while, but next day it was back. How can I get rid of it? Should I get some snails? And if so, is it okay to get them when I get my first fish?

clownfish said:
Thanks. I've read that it's okay to get 2 clownfish that are not a mated pair if they are young. Correct or misinformation??

If you make sure you don't get the largest clowns in the tank, you should be fine, that way neither are female or male. They will both be nueter males and the more dominant will turn to female and the other will grow working gonads and become the male. They should form a pair.

Also, I seem to be getting a lot of deep red, wispy algea growing on the bottom. I kinda mixed the CC base around a bit which got rid of it for a while, but next day it was back. How can I get rid of it? Should I get some snails? And if so, is it okay to get them when I get my first fish?

Sounds like cyano, whick is not unheard of after a cycle. Snails would be a good idea, and you can get them at the same time as your fish. You can also check out this thread for more specific means of algae control.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=15

HTH

Thanks. I read through algae post and don't know what could be causing the excess nutrients, unless it's a byproduct of fishless cycling. I've been using tapwater for changes, so that could also be the problem. Looking into a cheap DI unit to start. Also saw the reference to kalkwasser, but I'm not sure what that is (quick search on this board didn't turn up much). Is it meds/chemicals. Not sure I want to medicate the tank now, if just introducing fish....

Will most likely go with some snails, though.

Back
Top Bottom