Cycle question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bduni50

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok folks have had dead shrimp in my tank since Tuesday. So going on four days. Can I take out the shrimp yet?

Nope. Leave it in the tank until you're tank has finished cycling. Ammonia and nitrites will be zero and nitrates will be through the roof.

Ok I did not realize that. Will get water tested tomorrow.

It will take closer to 4 weeks to cycle not 4 days. Leave it in till cycle is complete.

What?
I've never heard of anyone keeping the shrimp inside the tank for the entire cycle. Do you realize that the ammonia will just be fueling the entire time and it will never go down. You should take the shrimp out once the ammonia reaches what you think is high enough. The "standard" number is 4ppm. Let the bacteria go through that, then add another shrimp and if it all goes down within 24 hours, you're cycled.

Ok so I'm confused now. I've always thought to leave the shrimp in 4-5 days. Then wait till ammonia goes down. Water change and your good to go. But after the first two post I figured I read or mis understood. Then another post close to what I was thinking...guess I will have to google and I tube more?????

What?
I've never heard of anyone keeping the shrimp inside the tank for the entire cycle. Do you realize that the ammonia will just be fueling the entire time and it will never go down. You should take the shrimp out once the ammonia reaches what you think is high enough. The "standard" number is 4ppm. Let the bacteria go through that, then add another shrimp and if it all goes down within 24 hours, you're cycled.

+1. Just do that, works every time

I would leave it until it reaches 2ppm ammonia. 4ppm is a lot and can cause unwanted cycle stalling. 2ppm is more then enough to handle a big bioload.

I would leave it until it reaches 2ppm ammonia. 4ppm is a lot and can cause unwanted cycle stalling. 2ppm is more then enough to handle a big bioload.

Ok, got it. At this point it's just ammonia that counts??????

Back
Top Bottom