My new (somewhat new) 90 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhhhh. Hit send by accident. This are the pics of some of the things from the last few days. There's more. But all the lights went out and I feel bad turning on the room lights. Will get better pics tomorrow. No more coral for a while for me

Have a question. What do you think the best level of calcium is for a reef tank? I checked mine tonight and it's at 460. Should I go higher? Lower?

Also. I'm not sure why- but my trates are at almost 40ppm. Why would this be?? Ammonia is 0 trites are 0 ph 8.3 calcium 460. That's all I can test at home. What else do I need to test for to figure this out???

Thanks!

460 is fine. You don't have anything that will really eat up calcium at this point. But even if you had a bunch of sps, 460 is still good.

My recomendation to you is to stop buying coral for at least a month. With all your new additions, your water is all over the place. You need to do a bigger than normal water change and test.

I would test ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, alk, calcium, and magnesium. You need to have these tests on hand. Take a break from buying and let water stabilize. Then you can get back to your addiction (at least a month).

Lol. My wallet says I can wait a month. Tonight I did a 20 gallon WC. I'll test again tomorrow that way everything has a chance to mix well. Thanks!

Ummm. Help! Lol. So the rose tip bubble anemone that I bought on Saturday has split in two today. Hopefully this means that it is healthy. But the real concern of mine is that I don't know if there is anything that I need to do?

Well rose bubble tips seem to split more than others for whatever reason. Just leave it. Now you have 2. If you hate it, send it to me.

Well - I don't know if I just didn't know t before, or it just happened. But now I have three rose tip bubble anemones. Is this normal?

My friend owns a high-end online coral company and his original rtba has split 6x per month for a year. He then sells them for 100 bucks each. So it is believed that nems split when unhappy, I'm not sure this is the case with the roses. They seem to split a lot. My local reef club gives away dozens at each meeting from owners that have too many. So you could sell them (if you can get them off their rock) or just enjoy them.

The thing that bothers me is that none of them have really opened back up yet sine they split!

Well they did just rip in half and create a new critter. There is some healing. Usually a few days to a week to open all the way up. I had one split and the newest one hid for weeks before reappearing. Are they staying put or walking all over?

They walked around for about a day- the clones are hiding in the dark in the back and the main is out in front under the light but still not opening.

My bubble tip just split a couple weeks ago, and when he did he and the clone opened right back up. How long have you had yours, I read if you can keep one for a couple years your doing good. Had I known that up front probably wouldn't have got one, but my clowns seem to like them. Also read if you remove them from whatever they attach to you can hurt them. If you sell the clones might want to sell the rock they attach to also. That being said the Lfs that sold me mine detached mine and he seems ok.

Ok. I love Craigslist. I just bought a 220 gallon with stand and canopy and sump/refugium and some other little things for 600$. It's a freakin monster!

Ok. Update on the RTBA. They have started opening up right before lights out. Hopefully it will continue tomorrow!

Jlsardina said:
Ok. I love Craigslist. I just bought a 220 gallon with stand and canopy and sump/refugium and some other little things for 600$. It's a freakin monster!

Wow, I'm so jealous just now I think I'm blue ;)

Back
Top Bottom