My new (somewhat new) 90 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I paid 160$ for the Aussie lord acan. Eeek. Lol. Yeah. And that doughnut is huge already. When it's open it's bigger than my hand.

You have gotten some really awesome stuff. :) I'm jealous! LOL I really want a plate coral and a doughnut one as well. Yours look really good.

I think I saw your brain on a rock, I keep mine on the sandbed if that helps any.

Thanks Carey! I've made my rounds to about 4 or 5 LFS to get some deals! Which brain are you talking about? I have three. The green maze brain?

Or is the lobo considered a brain as well? I haven't had an exact name to put to that lobo yet to get all the research I need. When the lights come on in a little bit hopefully the clams will open a little more and I can get a pic of them.

Yep, a lobo is a brain coral. there are also I think a few others, like a favia, favites and the platygyra. I'm still trying to learn how to tell the difference lol.

But yep, I have 3 brain corals and all three I keep on the sandbed. i think I have read that the rock is an abrasive surface for the delicate skeleton. :)

Ok. I'll try moving him down some tonight. I did some research to the best of my abilities on it last night as far as placement (cause I would rather look it up then rely on the people at the LFS) but I got several different responses on the web. Thanks!

This is what I went off last night do I thought it needed to be higher up

"The Lobophyllia Brain Coral, Lobophyllia hemprichii, is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral often referred to as a Lobo Brain. It has fleshy polyps that hide its calcareous skeleton. It is found in a variety of textures and color forms. Some are smooth, while others are pimply, and look like carpet. Colors vary from bright red, green, orange, gray, tan, or brown. Its behavior is semi-aggressive and it will sting other corals with its extended sweeper tentacles during the night. Provide plenty of space between it and other neighboring corals. It is easy to maintain in the reef aquarium, making it an excellent candidate for the beginning through expert reef aquarist. It requires moderate to strong lighting combined with a moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water. The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. It will also benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp fed in the evening when its tentacles are visible."

http://www.ageofaquariums.biz/lobo-brain.html

Oh boy. Did it again. Lol. Went to a guys house that's getting out of the hobby. Everyone calls him the frag king. Has had his tank running for 10 years. I bought 25 lbs of red rock. A 6 inch round rose bubble tip anemone, an 8 head led kryptonite candy coral, a 10 inch baby blue chalice, a 2 inch radioactive drag eyes zoa, another chalice my daughter picked out, and some green coral that I have to call the guy back on to figure out what it is. Lol. My grand total- 225$. I think I did good!

View attachment 56523

View attachment 56524

View attachment 56525

View attachment 56526

My tank looks full!!!

Plus. We found an 800 gallon acrylic tank on Craigslist today. We are going to split the cost with a buddy and then have it cut in half to make two 400 gallon 10ft long x 2 ft high x 3 feet deep tanks. Tank is being sold for 1500$. I'm on a roll lol. Somebody stop me now- I can't buy an ocean!

A 400 gallon tank would be awesome. The frag auction is in Fort Myers, FL. Doors open at 11 and auction starts at 1

Kempker1498 said:
I am glad someone has the bug worse than me!!

Lol. It's bad. If I won the lottery someone would have to hold me back right now. But i guess I am safe because I don't buy lottery tickets! Lol

Back
Top Bottom