Saltwater startup: 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Ok well, i know everyone says go bigger because you'll have less water problems and it will be more forgiving if some problems are to arise.. but i dont have that kind of money anymore lol. So i really want to start a saltwater tank with my 20G tank. Its been used at least 9-10 times before.. so it is a cycled tank. As is the filter. So given the fact that i have a 20G tank and a filter.. what else would i need for the saltwater tank? Im trying to take it slow and go little by little. So by something here and there instead of spending all my dang money on it at once. So its really like a project.. just building it up little by little. Also, i figure since its only a 20G tank.. ill only need the minimal of appliances to have the tank running. So what do you guys think? And what are some things i would need when i first start up the tank?

For starters no matter how many times the tank has been used, if it was empty it has to be cycled. Its not the tank that cycles, its the water.

Besides that everything else depends on what you plan on keeping. If you have livestock that require high flow, you will need a powerhead. A heater is a must. Possibly a chiller depending on your surrounding temp. Thermometer, And its always good to have a nice protein skimmer.

But for the next few weeks the water and filter will be fine while you cycle your tank, FISHLESS. In the mean time you can collect everything else you think you may need.

FWIW smaller saltwater tanks can be almost as costly as larger ones. :) Especially if you want a reef tank.

If you do fish only or FOWLR then you'll be limited as far as fish go, in a 20g. Just keep that in mind. In SW you can't keep as many fish, even if small, in the same size tank as FW. That goes along with keeping everything stable.

I have seen some sweet 20g reef tanks though!

I agree. It can be done, but bear in mind that it will cost nearly, if not as much, what a larger tank will. The tank itself is really the cheapest part of a SW system. Counting livestock, we easily put about $1000 into our 20 and it was set up as "bare bones" as you can get. Read the links Mike posted. Keep in mind that a cycled FW filter will do nothing but create an ammonia spike and start a cycle in SW. It takes A LOT of diligence to keep everything alive in a 20 and like I said in our upgrade thread, I really wouldn't recommend starting so small unless you are very experienced and/or OCD like me. ;)

What are you shooting for? Reef, FOWLR?

Well thanks for all the feedback guys.. and ya i want to make it a reef tank. You can have fish in a reek tank though right..

Yup you can have fish in a reef tank. I agree with HN1. I got my 20g high free and have put over a $1000 into it. If you do your homework (unlike me!) it's actually easy/fun to setup and watch.

**** thats a bundle lol. What section of setting it cost you the most?

That looks really awesome though. I have a 20gallon long tank though.. See.. what was going through my mind was to have the reef in a corner of the tank and have it extend on one short side and then about halfway on the long side of the glass.. and then make a really open area so the fish could swim. Also.. this way i would only need a light fixture for the one side that the rock and corals were on lol. Also.. i still have the chance to turn my 55gallon to saltwater.. but i wanted something small and compact to begin with. I think that stocking a 55gallon with liverock.. coral.. and fish would be a **** of alot more money then just stocking a 20gallon. Yes no?

Yeah.. but wouldnt stocking slowly a 20gallon put an even smaller hole in your wallet? ;D Plus.. dont you enjoy your 20gallon?

Yeah, I enjoy it. I'm planning on upgrading to a 75g around August or September that way I have more stocking options. You may also want better stocking options after awhile too. If you wish, start on the 20g and upgrade later and we (more over they lol) can guide you along the way. Either way, you're in for a ton of fun!

haha i wasnt calling you out on your own tank if thats what it sounded like sorry lolol.. i was just asking if you like your 20gallon. Well.. its just that i want to start off small with the saltwater and see how it goes you know.. plus i dont have that much money right now to begin with so my stocking options wont be all that good anyways.. so i think i might start off with the 20G.. but i've got to think about it. But in any case.. i really love your 20G SW tank. Is that base rock dead rock? or fake? Or what is base rock..

Yup you can have fish in a reef tank. I agree with HN1. I got my 20g high free and have put over a $1000 into it. If you do your homework (unlike me!) it's actually easy/fun to setup and watch.

So did we. The 20g was just sitting around here and we decided to make it a reef. In our case, the bulk of our expense was finding good deals on coral from reef club members or sponsor stores, and not being able to pass it up. ;)

Base rock is just dead rock. You seed it with live rock. The green pieces in my tank is the base rock the brownish/greenish pieces are the live rock. And thanks!, I like it too.

severum mama-mine was mostly coral too, that and the black perc. $50 for a clown is kinda rediculous.

Hey severum mama.. do you have pictures of your 20gallon nano reef?

Back
Top Bottom